Opinion please - Kindle Fire vs. iPad

Andrew

Ok, the missus' birthday in two weeks and up until about, oh, four days ago, the present was an iPad. However, female logic defined that she asked her parents for a Kindle - and a Kindle Fire at that. So, having been gazumped by my own wife (not bitter) I'd like the opinion of the masses about whether an iPad (full or Mini) would be worth having as well as the Kindle Fire. I'm not interested in using either so my usage and opinion isn't really relevant.

What do we think?

My mum loves he iPad Mini can't get enough of it and I have to admit that I might get one for myself. I think they are both good it depends on if you are an Apple or anything but Apple family. Personally if she has the phone or anything else apple get the iPad Mini or full size.

She doesn't have an iPhone but has an iPod. Her hubby has developed an Apple fetish so he (I) have most things Apple.

I'm thinking that a Fire for holidays and perhaps the iPad for home like Bazza suggests. Is the Fire any good for browsing - is it touch screen etc and as easy to use as the iPad (I'm expecting not but how close might does it get?).