5 Series Gran Turismo

AudiPartner

When they first came out, I thought BMW were mental. Who would buy that?? Turns out, possibly me. Ha.

I'm not changing my car until November (when my Merc lease runs out), but I will be looking to buy instead of leasing. My budget should be up to £20k. I love the X6 (funnily enough I hated that when it first came out too), but as much as I love the look of it, it makes no sense. Whereas the 5 GT makes lots of sense. Rear headroom of an X5, and leg room of a 7 series appaarently! Anyway, I fancy something comfortable, and we have a dog so need a tailgate. Plus its a modern car, came out in what, 2010? Some are spec'd to the eyeballs too, currently at around £22k, but will be in budget by the time I'm in the market for one.

I'm thinking 535D, obviously. :)

What we saying?? The alternative is a facelift X5. Scrapped the idea of an A5 sportback cos they're a bit weedy in comparison.

Having spent some time in a 5 GT with exec pack (I think that's what it was called - had 2 rear seats not 3 and they were adjustable, reclinable seats). Anyway it was a brilliant car, it was quiet, quick (for a big old barge) plenty room in the car for kids plus associated rubbish, i'd thoroughly recommend a drive. Plus they look cool.

Having spent some time in a 5 GT with exec pack (I think that's what it was called - had 2 rear seats not 3 and they were adjustable, reclinable seats). Anyway it was a brilliant car, it was quiet, quick (for a big old barge) plenty room in the car for kids plus associated rubbish, i'd thoroughly recommend a drive. Plus they look cool.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I was behind one yesterday and other than the fact the guy was driving like a d1ck, I was loving it. For now. November is a way off though. Also got a Porsche to sell yet if anyone's interested!

• 2 weeks later...

You really REALLY need to get your eyes tested. Those GT's are hideous beyond comparison (maybe a Ford Edsel could compare).

Not sure if their resale would be worse then, as they really are a bad seller. No-one wants them (apart from Gizze's dad, who loves it).

Maybe a 7 Series would be a better bet and better value?

I'd suggest perhaps shallow rather than blinkered. For a forum of supposed petrol heads, there's a huge emphasis on a car's looks.

The 5GT is indeed pig ugly, but it's an excellent overall package and highly practical as an executive people carrier.

I'd say it's a far better car than the equally ugly X6 which is a ridiculously compromised hybrid with no conceivable purpose.