5 Series Gran Turismo

AudiPartner

The 5GT is indeed pig ugly, but it's an excellent overall package and highly practical as an executive people carrier.

I'd say it's a far better car than the equally ugly X6 which is a ridiculously compromised hybrid with no conceivable purpose.

looks are a personal choice, but both the X6 and 5GT are very GOOD cars. I've owned an X6 and its an awesome piece of kit, now they offer three rear seats I'd not think twice about having another.

in sport trim the 5GT looks smart and the ride/equipment levels are way ahead of a standard 5 series.

• 8 months later...

I've had a 5GT for about 9 months - my first BMW actually.   I held the common view beforehand that it was no oil painting but my attitude changed when I realised what a clever car it is.  It's massively spacious, practical, comfortable, well equipped, frugal for a big car and (with the help of the panoramic roof), a great place to spend time.in.  I love mine and it has brought me over to the BMW brand in a most unlikely way.  I took the car to France for a driving holiday in the summer and packed the car with luggage, two kids and the wife and it was monumentally good as a luxurious and relaxed cruiser.  It is so well built and well designed but, crucial for me as a former owner of various SUVs, it did not cost a packet to run.

In terms of the looks, well they will always be controversial.  My advice is to get it in dark colours (black, blue, grey) with big 20" alloys, M Sport trim - it starts to become purposeful and imposing. I have had a surprising number of compliments from friends and the rarity value means it gets attention, whereas you can't move for X5s and RRSs around my way.  

If you've got a family and need to cover a lot of miles I'd say it is a great investment.  Dare to be different....

Well it seems they are getting a bit common now. AP, you and myself all have 5GTs of one variety or another. 

I went for a 530d GT M-Sport in silver and I love it to bit, I look forward to getting in it and having a drive every day which is what its all about. +++

Yes - quality shines through in the end  ;) .  Haven't seen a silver one before - do you have a pic?  You are right about looking forward to driving it.  I use my A6 for everyday commuting but drive my wife's 5GT at weekends, which for the long family trips out, is a really enjoyable experience.

• 2 months later...

I have to say, I thought the 5GT was an amazing car. 

It is a 7 series hatchback really, it is on the same floorpan as the F01 7 series, just a slightly more practical boot space. 

Only issue for me was the active suspension, for some reason comfort mode was a bit crashy, but sport was fine??! 

But all in all a great car.