Another circuit in trouble - this time Mallory Park

patently

I've just heard from the BRSCC that Mallory Park is the latest circuit to have problems with local residents objecting to noise. This really gets my goat; if you don't like the noise of motorsport, don't buy a house next to a long-established race track :ffs: It's not difficult, I turned down a very nice house even though it was absolutely perfect in every way that mattered (i.e. it had two double garages) because I don't like the noise of trains and there was a railway line nearby. Guess where the HS2 line is now going to go... :uhoh:

Anyway, it seems that the County Council intends to solve this by imposing a limit on the number of uses per year, and that the company that runs it say they cannot continue in business if they are limited to that number. If they cannot use Mallory Park as a race circuit then sale for housing is the likely outcome. Which would then mean that only the likes of S2B2 would still be racing round that part of Leicestershire...

There is a petition (of course), but it is a long way off the 100K signatures needs to get the HMG to take notice. The link is Save Mallory Park Circuit - e-petitions - I've signed it (for once).

I've just heard from the BRSCC that Mallory Park is the latest circuit to have problems with local residents objecting to noise.

You only just heard? It's been hyped up for weeks :P

It's more complex than selfish residents, have a read of this: Mallory Park - Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council Maybe Mallory management have bought this on themselves to a certain degree.

They had an agreement with the council dating back to the 80's that restricted the number of days that the circuit would operate. That pretty well allowed most weekends through they year. But in this day and age where a circuit has far higher costs, it needs to operate many more days to pay for it's own upkeep. I've seen numbers banded around as 85, or 96, but they want to "operate" for 160. They've had injunctions against them for operating too many days, and the council want to settle this out of court in the interests of all parties as they realise how much of an asset the circuit is for the area in terms of bringing money in, but they also have to balance the views of the residents who've had to put up with a load of grief. "Awesomefest 2011" created a big pile of trouble for the circuit.

As for the NIMBY's, when the residents who moved there 20-30 years ago perhaps there were 10 - 15 race days, now there's race days, testing, track days, dift evenings, the circuit must be in use virtually daily and the activity itself is more popular. Every day there must be in excess of 100 competing cars and bikes coming through the village, plus hangers on and not all are the paragons of society that we all are, carefully respecting speed limits and minimising local disruption :secret:. Transit vans with trailers rattling past houses, boy racers blipping their throttles to make the noise echo off the walls, wannabes using the road as a track.

Edited by Andy_Bangle
Awesomefest 2011 linky

As Andy_Bangle says it's been doing the rounds for a while. It's got Foggy and other on board too. I just went to the petition to see the numbers and filled it in just to prove to myself I'd already done so .... and it took it so I hadn't. Doh!

Therefore thanks for the reminder :)

Andy - thanks for the background, useful to have +++

I'm afraid I'm still not that sympathetic to the residents though. The reason I turned down the house I mentioned was not because the rail line next to it was busy (it wasn't, just a rural line), but because of what a rail line could become without difficulty. I think it's the same here - if you move into a house next to a race track, don't do so on the basis that at the moment it's being run fairly badly and only managing to stage a few events a year. Assume that if you stay there for decades, at some point someone with business skills will acquire it and make something of it.

With similar happenings at Mallory Park, Croft and Rockingham, I fear it is only a matter of time before a similar revolt from locals affects a really big circuit like Brands Hatch or Silverstone

:(

Silverstone have done a lot of work to minimise disruption to locals over the years. I hear cars there very regularly, but don't pay it much heed tbh, I guess I'm used to it. But 20 years ago the queues and disruptions were massive, its far far less intrusive now than it used to be, although saying that I do get the odd people taking liberties with my drive on race weekend!!!!

There's a lot more to this than meets the eye, Mallory have taken the piss for years, they've never bothered with planning permission, not recorded sound levels, not put up soundproofing, and basically ignored everyone and anyone. I can't believe I'm saying this but... I'm on the side of the residents this time.

The nail in the coffin for locals, I believe, was that 'Awesome' chav-fest - with attendees taking to the circuit for a bit of 'drifting, yo!' in the middle of the night, as I understand it.

However, NIMBYS near circuits are a PITA and will force operators to close them - Castle Combe just about survives, but their noise limits for most track days are very low, meaning a lot of potential attendees are ruled out.

Personally, I really want to own Druids Lodge at Oulton Park.

• 6 months later...

If it closes for good, I hope they build a f*cking great big council estate on it, with only the one same access road, straight past all the tossers that moved next to a race tracks houses.

That'll teach them when they've got stolen Corsas driving past their houses at 80mph all hours of the day and night. Wànkers.

I'm abroad at the mo but will post at length when I get back, the locals are 100% NOT to blame here, if MP hadn't taken the p1ss for years the council would not have had to intervene. The locals wanted MP to stay open but were fed up of the track running events galore over and above what was allowed. There's no NIMBYism here and it's important to recognise that.

I live about 5 miles as the crow flies from castle combe. When the wind is the right direction I can hear the cars going around it.

I can imagine that if I lived within one or two miles it would be significantly louder. It doesn't bother me at that level/distance. But you are talking a large number of people who could be affected.

I've lived most of my life within walking distance of Silverstone - 4 or 5 miles maybe.

Some of my family live close enough to see the stands and boundary fences and it is loud, but you know what you are getting when you move there, never bothered me and I always remember having noise from the place, maybe if it used to be quiet and now it was noisey it would be different.

I'd actually like to live in Towcester. That way I could walk in for the GP (and other events), watch the racing, enjoy a beer or two and then walk home. I wouldn't have to hire an old caravan and I could have a shower and a sh1t without 2000 people doing one before me.