Daily Driver Advice

Sleg

To all the educated and not so educated amongst you (Duisberg), I’m currently looking for my new daily driver, I have a 50 mile a day round trip to work, mainly 70mph dual carriageways and a few miles of interesting B roads. I like my in car gadgets, sat nav is a must for the family getaways, I have 4 kids but think it will be mainly the three youngest and the wife that will be joining me, so must be 4 doors.

I have three or four cars in mind. They are:

1. BMW 320D Luxury or Sport (Latest model)
  2. Jaguar XF 3.0d
  3. Golf GTI Mk6
  4. Ford Focus ST (Latest model)

I’ve taken out the BMW, very good on gadgets but hard to work out what comes as standard. The golf is a great drive and is my current favourite but I’m put off by the new MK7 coming out shortly, so an instant loss of value. The Jaguar looks very nice but I’m not even 40 and I could be too old for the ST.

Anything else to consider?

Cheers Sleg

XC90 with 7 seats in D5 guise might be worth a look for this times it's all 6 of you...

Also, don't pick on TDK, it's morally wrong to mock those with special needs, and we'll send Luke round if we have to.

(With respect to TDK and Luke).

XC90 with 7 seats in D5 guise might be worth a look for this times it's all 6 of you...

Also, don't pick on TDK, it's morally wrong to mock those with special needs, and we'll send Luke round if we have to.

(With respect to TDK and Luke).

Thanks DanG

Yes had tried these when we bought the wife the 6 seater and liked the R design a lot. But the wife wanted a Honda FRV so we have the family bus sorted.

In 38 months you have posted 3 times, thanks for your contribution :roflmao:

Sorry for the lack of posts, but have been lurking here everyday! I know pretty much nothing about cars as many on here will know but I do enjoy driving them! so was looking for the advice as in my post!

1. BMW 320D Luxury or Sport (Latest model)
  2. Jaguar XF 3.0d
  3. Golf GTI Mk6
  4. Ford Focus ST (Latest model)

Hello matey. I think they're all bloody good cars, here's my 2p;

320; + good value, nice to drive, some nice techy options. - a bit too popular ?

XF; + Styling, interior, a bit more special than the others. - Reliability (less an issue if nearly new I 'supose).

Gti; + Quick, relatively economical for a petrol, understated cool. - Residuals

ST; + Value for money, fun, cheap to run (fuel aside). - No longer a 5 pot engine

You've already got the Eunos for fun, and you won't get much chance for a hoon on the M1 anyway, so I'd look at the 3 series or XF. I reckon a chap with your social standing should be rollin' in something a bit less 'rep' than a 3 series - call Stratstone and book a test drive of the XF. I reckon you'll love it +++

Failing that, does nothing Merc take your fancy ? Some great deals on a C class if you want something a bit different.

Booster, got any suggestions ? You seem to know where the best deals are lurking on new / nearly new.

Whatever you end up in, bagsy a go in it, please ?

On your list you have a BMW 320d and then some petrol Hot Hatches. How about a Golf GTD which is the performance soot chucker. If it were me I would go with the Golf DSG and a load of toys, possibly the edition 35 if the £ could stretch to it.

Second choice would be an Alpina (D3 is it). Not sure they have many gadgets though.

On your list you have a BMW 320d and then some petrol Hot Hatches. How about a Golf GTD which is the performance soot chucker. If it were me I would go with the Golf DSG and a load of toys, possibly the edition 35 if the £ could stretch to it.

Second choice would be an Alpina (D3 is it). Not sure they have many gadgets though.

I've not driven the GTD but maybe have a go in one of those this week, I have my eye on a Edition 35 at the moment but i'm put off with the new golf gti coming out soon, I know I'm going to always be losing money on the car but don't just want to throw it away that easy.

Alpina D3 are the right kind of price but not seen any with sat nav

How do Sleg, good to see you posting!

From that list i'd be driving off the forecourt in the XF no question, just a lovely place to sit, and it can hitch it's skirt up and frighten the GTi boys when it need to as well.

The Golf GTD is a good shout though, especially if you let Ben work his Sharky magic wand over it, Mook has one so he'd be able to give you some good advice about them.