Help buying a MK4 GT TDi

Hi all i currently own a Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi 130 sport 52 plate 172k miles.

I have been speaking with a guy who is interested in swapping my car for his Golf MK4 GT TDi 150 top spec 52 plate 194k miles, see below pics.

6y9equqe.jpg

rejuza4e.jpg

ju9etehu.jpg

jagy2uba.jpg

The golf has service history upto 70k miles, the mileage doesn't really bother me because I know my Audi could easily double the 172k miles on the clock, I have asked if the cambelt as been changed but the owners not sure but says it physically looks fine.

So what's your guys opinion and advice, what should I be looking out for when I view the car.

P. S. My reason for wanting to swap I'd that I want a smaller car and also my work is relocating so I will be travelling about 30 miles a day and was thinking the smaller golf would economically be better than my Audi. Also will I notice much of a improvement on the performance and drive compared to my Audi, cheers for reading my long winded post :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It is 11 years old to be fair, and with 190k on the clock, it's going to be showing some wear.

it's essentially the same car though, just with an extra 20k on the clock, makes no sense to me?

The OPs car is an A4 - not an A3, so there are some significant differences.

Mostly that the A4 of that era is one of the best quality 'junior execs' ever made by anyone - it may be a little dull to drive, but the fit, finish and quality is fantastic for a mass produced car. Whilst the Mk4 Golf can be a little patchy - good quality interiors, but not always the best reliability.

Mostly that the A4 of that era is one of the best quality 'junior execs' ever made by anyone - it may be a little dull to drive, but the fit, finish and quality is fantastic for a mass produced car. Whilst the Mk4 Golf can be a little patchy - good quality interiors, but not always the best reliability.

I thought the golf had the same engine as my A4 but just tuned to 150bhp instead of 130bhp

Not many really, most of the switchgear is the same, engines the same, brakes, suspension etc, all the same, they feel the same to drive because they are basically the same.

I also utterly disagree with you in the strongest terms about the quality, it was exactly this era of everything VAG made, including Audi, and the poor quality of the interior materials, poor reliability etc that formed the opinion I still hold of VAG quality, or the lack of it.

And in any case, he'd be going from the Audi, into the Golf, the Audi that has (according to the OP) not worn very well.

Just my opinion, but I think you'd be going from one old high miler that you know reasonably well, to another old high miler that you don't.

You do realise that the A4 is a proper Audi platform, with longitudinal engine, don't you?

It's not, in any way, related to the Golf. And it wasn't related to any Passat, either - as it's a B6 Audi platform, and not related to either the B5 or B6 Passat platforms.

B5 and B6 A4s were excellent cars - the B8 (current shape) was where it all went very pear shaped for Audi.

You do realise that the A4 is a proper Audi platform, with longitudinal engine, don't you?

It's not, in any way, related to the Golf. And it wasn't related to any Passat, either - as it's a B6 Audi platform, and not related to either the B5 or B6 Passat platforms.

B5 and B6 A4s were excellent cars - the B8 (current shape) was where it all went very pear shaped for Audi.

Nope, I thought my Audi had the same engine as the vw golf, passat, a3 leon etc

Nope, I thought my Audi had the same engine as the vw golf, passat, a3 leon etc

Same basics, but slightly different characteristics. And also different layout of ancillary bits and pipework.

IIRC, the A4 never received the 150 BHP 1.9 TDi engine in the UK market.

As long as it's been serviced properly with the correct PD oils, the engine should go on for a long time.

I had a Bora 115 PD TDi, and it was perfect and I sold it at 206K miles on the original clutch, and still returned over 50 mpg on my commute.

Belt changing was about £400??? a pop with all the associated ancillaries

Edited by cruiser647