Anybody been to the Berlin Festival?

Twinspark

Just been thinking about going to this:

Berlin Festival 2013

In September.

Vague musings are...

Cardiff - Harwich - Hook of Holland - Berlin - Dresden - Hook of Holland - Harwich - Cardiff

May need to stick something in between Dresden and Hook of Holland, though.

Harwich is the preferred crossing, as you travel whilst sleeping, and it costs no more on top of a Chunnel crossing than a couple of cheap hotels would.

We'd probably try to dash off from here at around 4pm on a Wednesday to land in Holland on Thursday morning - then stay in Berlin Thursday / Friday / Saturday nights, before moving onto Dresden Sunday night, maybe Dortmund Monday night, then back on the ferry Tuesday night, landing back in the UK on Wednesday morning.

Done that route a couple of times (well, not the Sheep parts). After HoH I like to stop off at the Arnhem-Oosterbeek War Graves to pay my respects, then if you fancy a detour between Berlin & Dresden checkout Porsche Leipzig. Loads of nice places to stop off in Lower Saxony if you avoid Hanover and the E30 (Schloss Marienburg, springs to mind).

Is Dresden a good place to visit?

I'm really fascinated by East German history - so it seems like a good place to visit.

One thing that worries me is getting from here to Harwich in the evening - as it takes in the M25. If it's possible to get there in good time, then we could leave on Tuesday and get an extra day in Germany.

I preferred it when they ran the Hi-Speed ferry, it save a good 6+ hours on that crossing. Dresden is quite touristy (lots of Germans 're-discovering' their past) you want somewhere more native, there's a small town to the east, Bautzen which is full of castles and ol'stuff :) But if you like the post-1950 stuff then Dresden is your place, make sure you lock your car!!!

I'm really into the communist era history - it's really amazing what went on behind the wall.

Now... the bit about the car... is it really that dodgy, then? - I know some bits of the old East are still a little left behind by Western economic standards, but I didn't really get a feeling anywhere in Germany was particularly iffy.

Lot's of the smaller towns towns to the East (in Saxony) are depopulating with people moving in to the cites of Leipzig & Dresden, lots of Russians and Bulgarians immigrants looking for benefits 'er jobs : secret:. Same here in Sweden, if you keep to tourist areas and don't go to native then you won't notice it :) Certain areas of Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig are like no-go zones at night but then again there are towns like that in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've booked most stuff.

4 nights in the Ibis Berlin Mitte. Tickets for the festival. Also tickets for the TV tower - and a meal in the restaurant at the top.

Just need a suggestion for the other 2 nights we're out there now - I've looked as Dresden - but what about Poznan or Wroclaw in Poland?