Rear final drive seal

drumstick

Hi folks

anyone out there know the best place to purchase an oils seal for the output shaft of the centre diff ( rear final drive). also is it best to replace the trans fluid and filter while im at it.

the car is a 1999 4172cc quattro avant which has covered 107000 miles.

thanks Mat

Thanks chaps, ordered one from the local stealer. But they aren't much help as to the grade of ATF. All the could give me is a part number G052162A2 and a 9 litre Capacity. All local motor factors say to refer to owner handbook, but mine doesn't give the trans fluid info. Any ideas on what to put in for this car??

cheers Mat

I know ebay have loads of people selling proper Audi A6 ATF & strainers. However it is a big job requiring the car to be off the ground but level.

Drain, remove pan, clean pan, replace strainer and refill. However, the refill part is the tricky part I think. You have to go through the grears as you fill and only once it comes out of the filler hole in each gear is it done and then you need to set something in VAG-Com too.................

Just found out that my tiptronic transmission is a non-serviceable entity. There are no serviceable parts for it. So looks like I won't be touching it after all. Ill just do the oil seal in the diff.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way do any of you know a Indy in the brummie Worcester area.

Cheers

Thanks again for the info. Think ill give it a go.

I am now pondering what lube to put in the diff after the seal replacement.

I've been recommended by a pal to use 'Lucas synthetic SAE 75W-140 gear oil. Trams and diff lube.

Can I use this or should I buy what the stealer is selling?

thanks mat