S8 Wheels

fenn

Their are "blotches"appearing on my 2007 S8's wheels - they are apparently caused by corrosion fronm the salt put on the roads -strange, bacause the S8 gets used only rarely,and is normally cleaned every time before being put back in to the garage. Whatever - i'm told that these are "diamond cut" and, having been refirbished once already, about a year ago it's not a good idea to have it done too many times and i should get them "powder coated" next time. which will last longer as well.

Thing is - don;t know what colour to do them -the car is black, and it's been suggested that i should have the wheels done in black(at the moment they're gunmetal grey wuth silver spokes), but I think that colour scheme looks good on such as M3's and Porsche 911's, but wouldn't suit the essentially covert nature of the S8, whcih is exactly whuy i like it( most people seem to mistake it for an A6 - only the V10 badges really give it away - Oh yes -and the noise when you put your foot down is a bit of a giveaway as well I guess!)

I'bve never been totally in love with the gunmetal grey aspect -thought of just putting them back to the standard finish as on the S8 if they wweren't "diamond cut"

Any ideas/advice?

Am not a fan of black cars with black wheels and prefer a contrast. So black wheels on light cars can look good, but not black on black for me.

The salt creep is all too common and only takes a tiny chip in the clear coat to take hold. Look at all the Mark V Golf GTI owners who ended up getting their wheels powder coated once the diamond cut finish started to go.

A shiny black car with shiny silver wheels always looks good - but you could go for something like BMW Shadow Chrome if you want something a little darker than the usual bright silver.