Tyre tread depths

Andrew

Do you get the same tread depth on all normal road tyres? I ask because I got two Pilot Super Sports fitted today on the BMW and there didn't look to be oodles of tread depth. It might be the width of the tyre made it seem less and I know that the Cups have purposefully less depth, but I wondered about others.

The Continental SCs on it were starting to crack at the edges and were pretty much 3mm with a slightly increased wear in the middle.

Oh, that would explain it. I'm told the longevity of the PSS is quite good but it doesn't look like they will last the trip to the Lakes next weekend!

The place I went for the tyres does masses of heavy plant vehicles and the chap showed me a set of rubber which were £8k each! Lots of tread on them ...

I need to give them a few hundred miles first I think but I suspect some of the roads in the Lakes District might be suitable to see if they stick well.

Who the hell am I kidding ... I can already hear the tyres mocking my lameness a bit like the coaches do in Thomas the Tank Engine ...