Dilemma

Rachel

Decisions, decisions...

If money was no object (or you win lotto), which would you pick?

The last of the 997.2 GT3RS or a new 991.1 C2S with everything to go fast?

Local dealer has 2x RS (grey/red or white/red) for about $260,000.00 drive away, or a new silver C2S with PASM, PDK (sport wheel), sport chrono, (active) sport exhaust, etc for $325,000.00 drive away happy.

Surely it also depends on what sort of road car you want. Lets face it an RS will give you a very different experience to a C2S especially in Auz where the speeding laws / mentality is a little draconian.

If I own an RS I'd want to track it where as a C2S I'd just enjoy as a fast road car.

I have never driven a 997 GT3 RS but have ridden in one and found it quite an experience. The 997.2 Turbo is probably the quickest car I have ever driven - bonkers, but i love the chassis having had a Carrera for a while

However to live with every single day I would have to go 991 with PDK, particularly the S which is one of the best cars I have driven and i've driven it a lot recently.

If it were me and it was a lottery win, i'd be getting a soft top too and sport chrono pack... Mmmm. You just dont need any more on the road.

+++

I'll expand a little. The choice is:

- a very nice car which is at the top of its depreciation curve and will, in a few years, be "just another 911", or

- a rare and very desirable car that will always be something slightly special.

Money no object, remember... so it's a mo-brainer.

I'd probably go RS - mostly because it is something a little bit special. Now, what is interesting about A_B's times posted is that for a huge amount of extra money you could have bought a 4.0 RS and got yourself 0.1s around a track which makes you wonder what all the fuss was about.

The other interesting thing is the price of the cars! Current exchange is 1.48 Aus$ to the £ ...

I have driven both. As others have said they are both very different cars no matter what a lap time says. The 991 with pdk would make an awesome daily, very comfy, very fast, veery easy. It also has a beautiful voice which really surprised me.

i do love my rs which is the mk2 3.8 but I would not advise driving it as a daily. I did for a year and it started to do my head in. The clutch is not anything like a normal Porsches, very very heavy. The gear stick is also much shorter and heavier than even the normal gt3. It is also very low. I have the lifting nose but around London, even with that I still need to go sideways over speedbumps.

that said for a weekend blast there is no place I'd rather be for a spirited drive. It is the only car t offer you that level of fun with aircon and amazing levels of comfort (far more than a scud for example). Take it for a drive Rachael, if you have a second car and roads/track to enjoy it nothing would beat it. I keep getting the 458/mc12 urge but know they won't compete n fun levels and I have no space for a third car. It's the first car I've had that plan to keep for ever. Cars will get faster, flasher, more composed and luxurious but they will never again offer a package like the 997 mk2 rs. Dual clutch gear boxes, rear wheel steering and nanny aids have seen to that. It's the last and best of its breed.

post-1352-137914496734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Woppum

If money was no object have them both. :P

Back in the real world, I'd be happy with a (non RS) 997.2 GT3 in the right spec....... for me it would be a Clubsport, harnesses, one piece seats, perhaps white with white body colour rear console etc etc

Something like this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-gt3-997/911-997-gt-coupe-gt3-2dr/1050840