Stockport County

Twinspark

Today was a sad day in the history of the mighty County.

Only 20 years ago, they were flying high in Division 1 (Now Championship) and had hopes of reaching the Premier League.

After years of turmoil - including some stitch-ups by Sale Sharks rugby club and Manchester City (who refused to allow discussions over ground sharing the City of Manchester Stadium with County - and additionally refused to talk about County taking over Maine Road) - Stockport fell out of the lowest level of professional football in England and dropped into the Conference North.

Sadly, I believe this will be the end of the club - Edgeley Park is a big old stadium for a Conf. North team and I suspect will drag them into bankruptcy.

I can't believe how far they've fallen - and I'm feeling pretty gutted today - even more than I did when they dropped into the National Conference.

Times are very tough, but I think they may survive for now. Edgeley Park is indeed a big old stadium, but crucially it isn't owned by the club and their rent for next season will be fairly low (far less than it will cost to maintain it). The real trap door is below the Conference North. If that happens they might as well start again and ask Stalybridge to let them play there.

I believe it's the lowest level of football that a 'proper' established club has ever fallen to.

I know ex-league clubs have dropped down in the past - but not one which had a 106 year continual run in the professional leagues - it's not like they are a 'phoenix' club, either - by which a new club is formed using an old name.

My Conf. North team also got relegated this season - although the writing has been on the cards for a while there - the manager can't be sacked, as he owns the club!

My Conf. North team also got relegated this season - although the writing has been on the cards for a while there - the manager can't be sacked, as he owns the club!

Ha! Yes. Epic goal difference too. Been there a couple of times, but have to admit I lost a whole load of sympathy for Dave Pace over his antics in the FA Cup ineligible player affair.

A few idiots didn't do themselves or the club any favours.

There's no excusing what they did - but, I'd imagine it was quite an emotionally charged day - this is about as low as you can get without declaring bankruptcy and starting again.

I'm not happy that the reputation of the club has been tarnished by this - it's the kind of thing you'd expect from Burnley fans, ffs, and Stockport were always above all that. Probably all the City fans, who tend to drift to County when City aren't at home...

Stockport have always had their little core of idiots. There's not been a single game between them and Oldham that hasn't been a bit nawty.

Never really witnessed it when I was a regular at Edgeley Park (When I was in 6th form, just down the road in Cheadle Hulme, we used to go to all the midweek home games - and I'd do a fair number of midweek aways, too - could never do Saturdays, as I was working).

But I suppose all clubs have idiots anyway.