09 MK5 GTI or 59 MK6?

wordsman

We're looking for a GTI to replace my wife's A3 1.8T quattro sport, and not had an GTI experience before.

We've just driven a 59 plate, DSG, 2-owners with 34,000 miles, which is £16k at Evans Halshaw (no negotiating they tell me!), and we like it. But I've also seen a 09 DSG, Pirelli, 1-owner with the same mileage on Auto Trader for £13k.

I assume the price difference is because the 59 is MK 6 and the 09 MK5? I thought of getting a MK6 because it won't date quite as quickly so we're likely to keep it a bit longer. But I guess the MK5 is the better buy financially, because it's taken its hit in depreciation, and £4k price difference for 6 months age is a lot of cash.

What are your thoughts guys?

thanks

I was just about to say MK6 all the way as it's a more refined car and a better drive until I noticed you said the MK5 is a Pirelli Edition. If it is and you can live with the tyre tread pattern seats then go for it as these are pretty rare and will hold it's value better and has 230bhp vs 211 in the MK6.

Agreed. Colleague had a Pirelli edition (manual I think) as a company car, he was sorely tempted to buy it when the three years was up. +++

Re the Mk6, 16k is a LOT to pay for a Golf 2.0 that will be four years old this Autumn.

Edit - also agreed on the DSG v Manual debate outside warranty....

Agreed. Colleague had a Pirelli edition (manual I think) as a company car, he was sorely tempted to buy it when the three years was up. +++

Re the Mk6, 16k is a LOT to pay for a Golf 2.0 that will be four years old this Autumn.

Edit - also agreed on the DSG v Manual debate outside warranty....

Thanks Ian, so £16k sounds overpriced yes? And so DSG gets unreliable?

Edited by wordsman

DSG is not such a big issue these days out of warranty as 3rd part companies can repair the mechatronic units, which is the most common failure, for a few hundred pounds.

I did 84k miles in my DSG R32 over 5 years and never had an issue but some people do. DSG oil and filter need replaced every 40k miles.

Thanks Ian, so £16k sounds overpriced yes? And so DSG gets unreliable?

Not necessarily overpriced, but as you said yourself the Mk5 has more of its depreciation already taken care of, whereas the Mk6 has a much further to go.

Reference the DSG debate, I'd hoped they were stronger nowdays, but someone on RS246 just had a replacement gearbox on their B8 S4 at West London Audi (first replacement I've personally read about) and it was £8500. So if I ever buy one it will be a manual! Makes the 2k clutch and flywheel change in a B6 B7 S4 RS4 look like a bargain.....

Thanks for your responses guys.

I take your point about £16k being a lot for a car that'll be 4 years old in the Autumn, and it's sold now, anyway. So I've looked a bit further and discovered that there are lots of 1-year-old GTis kicking about between £18k-£20k+ - with DSG and leather.

Not that seems odd to me, they seem too cheap. The spec suggests dealers who ordered too many and now need to get shot of them. But still, given that there are loads of 09/10 cars around the £15/16k mark, the 2012s seem cheap. I might look in that direction instead.

So, I've seen a 2012 with 13,500 miles for £18k. Seems like a bargain, I guess because the MK7 is coming soon. It's with VW Dealer so has their checks and warranty etc. But it's ex VW Finance and was owned by a rental company. I wonder if an ex-rental car, or even the suspicion, is worth avoiding as it could have been hammered. Of course GTi is an odd rental, being thirsty, so maybe it was run by a manager or staff

Would you avoid? Or take the risk given it has the VW approved guarantee?

Try and find out where it went and what it was used for. When you say rental do you mean lease as in a company car? Or a rental station car, Avis executive at an airport etc? Our family Sportback was a cancelled company car, Alphabet from memory, 16k but still felt new, rear seats had never been sat in

He said it's ex-VW Finance, and was owned by a rental company, but can't tell any more about who drove it. I checked with my local indy, who was main dealer for years and he said there's no way they could tell more than that. But he also said that if its VW Approved it should be fine, and you also get their 30 day return guarantee so low risk. Still. Rental company. Makes you think doesn't it?

Yep. I wouldn't touch a car that I knew had been at Avis etc. Ditto dealer courtesy cars, I'm not sure I'd want one of those either.

Recently sourced an A4 2.0 TDi quattro that was 9 months old and had been run by Audi themselves, it was on Audi MK HQ plates and was an employees company car rather than being run by the dealer selling it. Couple of marks on the boot lip but straight enough, good spec with quattro and tech pack which would be very unlikely on a dealer courtesy car

Why's a rental any different to Jo Bloggs owning it and thrashing the nuts off it every day from cold?

If it's VW Approved and warranted, and you're happy with absolutely everything about the car, then just buy it +++

Yup, judge the car on condition, don't worry about who owned it.

I would imagine 90% of hire cars don't get thrashed anyway, it's the unlucky few driven by us lot that do!

Yep. I wouldn't touch a car that I knew had been at Avis etc. Ditto dealer courtesy cars, I'm not sure I'd want one of those either.

My Galaxy was a Ford demonstrator centre vehicle, it was 6 months old, had 10k on the clock, and I saved 10k on the price it would have been new, and it came loaded with options too.

It's now on 165000 miles and doesn't seem to have suffered due to being a demonstrator.

Ian I think you need to get a bit of a grip on reality here.

You have no idea who the person was that you bought your car off from Audi - they could have thrashed the nuts off it from cold every morning without fail. Just because someone works for a manufacturer means nothing about how they might treat a car.

I'm sure the fact that it had a Milton Keynes plate on the back will add literally thousands to the value :coffee:

Same with rentals - not everyone drives rentals like they stole them.

Except people on here.

You have no idea who the person was that you bought your car off from Audi - they could have thrashed the nuts off it from cold every morning without fail. Just because someone works for a manufacturer means nothing about how they might treat a car.

Yes of course they might have thrashed it. And no being driven by an Audi employee doesn't tell you how the car was treated.

However I'd much rather have a car that one individual has driven since new (and will get penalised if it comes back scratched and kerbed) than a dealer courtesy car or rental station car. The MK plate means nothing (and by the time the car wash viewed and purchased the dealer had put their own plates on it) apart from indicating it was an Audi UK car not a dealer car. It couldn't possibly have been a press or demo car because it was a Jan 2012 registration date but not the new facelifted model.

You pays your money..... +++

I do wonder why 'one company car driver from new' is considered better than it being a demonstrator / courtesy car / rental car.

I'm in a minority of people who look after company cars like they're my own. Even my Prius was washed, occasionally waxed, and I always insisted it went to a main dealer rather than Nationwide when it needed a service.

On the other hand, I have colleagues who never clean them, drive them around full of crap and never vacuum them, don't care where they're serviced and hardly ever bother getting warning lights or damage repaired. Not to mention those who slip the clutch when parking etc.

One thing you do know about courtesy and rental cars is that they're kept very clean - inside and out - and have any remedial work done ASAP.