iPhone upgrade?

patently

Just get a 5. There's always going to be yet another model around the corner.

Next one will be what ? A bit quicker, a bit thinner, and that's about it...

That is a fair point I suppose. It isn't like I'm hanging out for a particular function that might come with the new IP aside from maybe the 4g that we in the UK will use - might that be worth hanging on for?

My impression of the IP5? Just like the 4 but a bit smoother and the battery is new.

Yes , the screen is bigger, makes no difference really. It's a bit lighter, a bit thinner, but there's no "wow".

I saw this as a maintenance purchase, the 4 was old and creaking and needed an update. It's worked in that regard.

That is a fair point I suppose. It isn't like I'm hanging out for a particular function that might come with the new IP aside from maybe the 4g that we in the UK will use - might that be worth hanging on for?

4G is another marketing exercise. It's still very expensive and the iPhone 5 doesn't support all of the carriers' 4G frequencies, so be very careful what provider you're choosing if you're relying on 4G +++

I see the IP5 isn't a supported one on Vodafone - thanks for the heads up there. They have said they will knock off 70% of remaining charges to chop in a phone early when 4G arrives which on my plan will still mean I'll be paying out £300 or so just to change, then of course the price of a new handset on top.

Given I don't use the phone too much for streaming, and when I do it seems adequate, my 4G wish seems futile. Now if only I'd reconciled that in my head before opening my thoughts up to this forum!

Trouble with most UK 4G contracts is they give you lots of bandwidth and tiny data allowances - you could chew through a whole month's worth in about half an hour!

(I've just been looking at T-Mobile / EE deals, as my iPhone 4 could do with replacement - but the EE deals give you 1GB of data... whereas I could keep my phone and renew my SIM only deal on an unlimited data deal)

That's marketing again - there is no such thing as 3.5G.

The reason 3 can't offer you 4G is the same as it is for Vodafone - they bid for a frequency that's not supported by all the phones. I bet that was an interesting product marketing meeting when they had to tell the big bosses :roflmao:

That's marketing again - there is no such thing as 3.5G.

I was paraphrasing +++

we’ve already upgraded our 3G network with the latest DC-HSDPA technology to make

it Ultrafast. We know, all those letters are a bit of a mouthful, so we affectionately refer to it as 3.9G.

I'm surprised to hear that the 5 isn't 4G ready though. That's a bit of an oversight.

Very impressed with the setup of the new unit and transfer of profile to new one. Easy as you like and kept most preference settings. Last time I had to upgrade it was between Nokia phones - rubbish!

I'm surprised to hear that the 5 isn't 4G ready though. That's a bit of an oversight.

It is 4G ready but only on very specific frequencies. The current iPhone 5 won't work on any UK 4G network other than EE.

I've got an iPhone 5 on EE and the 4G performance is really quite nice, I was getting about 30Mbps download and upload when I was sitting in Green Park a week or so tethering my phone to my laptop and killing time whilst waiting for a meeting to start.

The data allowances are very stingy though, I only moved onto the 4G tarrif because my other half works for EE and I could get discount on 4G but not on the 3G tarrif I had so I've ended up saving about £30/month.

But isn't EE the only network that has 4G?

For now yes, I think EE managed to convince OFCOM they could recycle some of their 2.1ghz spectrum to launch LTE early whilst reducing 3G capacity for other T-Mob and Orange users...nice lol!