Audi SQ5 Ad released

shao_khan

So get ready to watch on TV from tonight - I got sent this with the above link.......

" Aimed at an ABC1 demographic, the commercial takes consumer buying patterns into consideration by targeting couples who are consuming TV at the same time, being featured in programmes over the opening weekend including Jonathan Ross and the new ITV drama Life of Crime. To further increase reach, the advert will also occupy fame spots during high profile sporting events later in May such as The FA Cup Final and the UEFA Champions League Final while appearing in upcoming cinema releases The Great Gatsby, Star Trek and The Big Wedding that are expected to prove popular with our core target."

So having watched it a few times now, the message this is giving me is:

"Its ok to drive through a puddle and splash people who're having a really bad day because you're all superior in your new Audi"

To be fair, half of that sentence is correct:

"Its ok to drive through a puddle and splash people".

On the car, a Q5 does nothing for me and the advert is awful. But for those who like them, why not a SQ5? It's the car you like, but it goes faster. Can't see how it's pointless.

It's like any other car; most are available with 1.6-2.0 diesel/petrol engines. But they're also available with bigger engines and better equipment for those that like a bit more power. Does that make them pointless? Is a C63 AMG Merc pointless? Is it not just a C200 but with extra shiny bits and a bigger engine? Or an RS4? Or a Focus STi? Are they pointless?

You really don't watch Apprentice do you!

And I thought you were just jumping on the bandwagon of people who say they don't like it! :eek:

No I bloody well don't - I have before though and they did a TV commercial in that one - just such utter tosspot dross.

It was on twice this week as well, so I had to go swim another 1,200M on Wednesday night as well :rolleyes: :D

I think the Q5 works on a number of levels for people who like the elevated driving position, some off road ability and, having considered one in the past, don’t need to carry much in their boot.

But I think that slotting a super powerful engine in a high riding SUV is akin to sticking a twin turbo V8 in a Robin Reliant.

Yes, you will go very quickly, but it simply won’t handle like a sports car - and yet they are marketed as such…?

The other models Milo mentions start off with a basic platform that was designed from the ground up to handle well and can accept far more power whilst retaining the overall drivability.

The Q series cars were initially designed for ground clearance and ability to have all wheel drive, all season tyres and elevated driving positions, not hoon around corners 4 wheel drifing.

That said, I haven’t driven one, but was once a passenger in a Cayenne Turbo and just felt it was designed and built for America with its straight road, cheap fuel and lots of money or affordable leasing deals. It was brutally quick in a straight line, but we struggled to keep up with a moped around corners – it was driven by a man with, allegedly, a very small penis who had a lot to prove to the world.

If you want a sporty car, buy a sporty car / estate with a whacking engine in it and go have fun.

If you want an SUV buy an SUV with a torquey engine and go to country shows with your dogs and guns in the boot.

If you are a bit confused with a ton of cash, buy a ‘Sports SUV’ with a big engine and go quickly, in a straight line, before wallowing around corners in a precarious fashion with your wife screaming at you to slow down (maybe on the Nurburgring ).

The only exception to my own (made up) rules is the big diesel engine SUV. The V12 TDI or V10 TDi for the towing of aircraft and small countries. I can genuinely see the need for about 6 people in the UK, and everyone in New Jersey, to have one of these brutes…

Other opinions are available….

+++

Ah well the only (one of many) holes in my theory is the X5 and X3 which were designed with the engine mounted very very low in the chassis to reduce the centre of gravity and therefore they drive like a large estate car and not an SUV in the truest sense of the acronym.

I look forward to seeing it! +++

I think the Q5 works on a number of levels for people who like the elevated driving position, some off road ability and, having considered one in the past, don’t need to carry much in their boot.

But I think that slotting a super powerful engine in a high riding SUV is akin to sticking a twin turbo V8 in a Robin Reliant.

Yes, you will go very quickly, but it simply won’t handle like a sports car - and yet they are marketed as such…?

The other models Milo mentions start off with a basic platform that was designed from the ground up to handle well and can accept far more power whilst retaining the overall drivability.

The Q series cars were initially designed for ground clearance and ability to have all wheel drive, all season tyres and elevated driving positions, not hoon around corners 4 wheel drifing.

That said, I haven’t driven one, but was once a passenger in a Cayenne Turbo and just felt it was designed and built for America with its straight road, cheap fuel and lots of money or affordable leasing deals. It was brutally quick in a straight line, but we struggled to keep up with a moped around corners – it was driven by a man with, allegedly, a very small penis who had a lot to prove to the world.

If you want a sporty car, buy a sporty car / estate with a whacking engine in it and go have fun.

If you want an SUV buy an SUV with a torquey engine and go to country shows with your dogs and guns in the boot.

If you are a bit confused with a ton of cash, buy a ‘Sports SUV’ with a big engine and go quickly, in a straight line, before wallowing around corners in a precarious fashion with your wife screaming at you to slow down (maybe on the Nurburgring ).

The only exception to my own (made up) rules is the big diesel engine SUV. The V12 TDI or V10 TDi for the towing of aircraft and small countries. I can genuinely see the need for about 6 people in the UK, and everyone in New Jersey, to have one of these brutes…

Other opinions are available….

+++

Why is it like putting a twin turbo V8 in a Robin Reliant?

The Q5 has been available with the 3.0TDi engine from launch. I presume you'd agree that's a great engine for the car?

The SQ5 also has a 3.0TDi engine, but it's a bi-turbo. It's not a V8 and it's not a petrol. Its CO2 is marginally (10g/km) worse than the standard 3.0TDi. It does the same MPG but is faster than standard 3.0TDi. It only costs a couple of grand more than the 3.0TDi s-line and is better equipped.

If I liked the Q5 (which I don't), wanted a 3.0TDi (which I don't), I'd go for the SQ5 every time. Why wouldn't you want the extra power on tap? You don't have to drive a car at 100% all the time, 4-wheel drifting.

I just don't get why the 3.0TDi is perceived as a great engine in the Q5, but the SQ5 is 'pointless'.

Just my opinion :crackpipe:

Edited by Milo

Yup, it's the bi-turbo diesel.

An S5 coupe was a couple of grand more than a similarly specced 3.0TDi s-line. It was a no-brainer for me and I went for the S5 as I think it suits a 3.0 V6 petrol (and the running costs are the same for me).

In the 3.0Tdi Q5 s-line vs SQ5 though, I can't see why anyone would go for the s-line. Both diesels, same mpg, almost the same CO2, almost the same cost.

The 3.0TDi is a super engine when coupled with the Q5, so the bi-turbo 3.0TDi will be a hoot.

That 3 litre bi-turbo is wicked in the A6. So why not call it an S6D then?

There's one S model per model I guess, and the 6's is a twin supercharge 4.0 V8 petrol.

I *think* the coupe was about 12 months ago and the sportback a little bit before.

I would have liked the V8 rumble but the V6 still makes a decent noise. The V6 has the same torque, slightly less power but it's quicker off the line and a fair bit more frugal.