The ŠKODA Citigo Sport

Dave

A friend went to look at all 3 versions of those - ie. VW, Seat, Skoda.

He came back with an Ibiza Copa, as the deals were significantly more attractive.

Dave doesn't have to worry about the money side, not since an advert appeared with a Pharmacist from Newquay* was on TV a couple of times.............. :P

How many pharmacies can there be? It must be him!!! :grin:

I'd check the insurance on all three options before you decide whether to get a Skoda, Seat or VW. Apparently the Up holds its value better on resale.

They're proper good fun to drive, whichever one you end up with.

Personally, spending anything more than £1,200 on a car for kids would make me question my sanity :eek: :D

Dave doesn't have to worry about the money side, not since an advert appeared with a Pharmacist from Newquay* was on TV a couple of times.............. :P

How many pharmacies can there be? It must be him!!! :grin:

It's not me.. my mate Nick, with a pharmacy down the road from me.. I'm not pretty enough to be on TV.. although I did offer to be the back-side of veet :)

Cheers guys,

We did drive the VW Up but didn't like the styling so much.

I was thinking of spending up to around £5000 on a car, but i want to get something safe and low insurance and nice to be in.

I don't fancy a beat up 106!

You can't go wrong with any of the three really, ideal first cars and great fun to drive.

They seem really basic sitting in them, but in fact they are quite well specced, especially if you go for the nav option.

It's been a while since I sat in car that had exposed paint on the inside, but it seems to work very well.

As Mook says, it's definitely worth getting insurance quotes for all three, as the VW badge usually carries a slight premium, but then again, as Mook says, you get that back come resale time.

We bought an Up! last September for my partner. Ours is the 75PS High Up! version and is a complete hoot to drive. Feels like a proper car too - we even took it to Paris a few weeks ago (overnight ferry from Portsmouth than a quick blast down). Control layout will be familiar to anyone familiar with VAG products, though there are a few irritating cost cutting measures evident. No cord on the rear parcel shelf, so it's easy to leave t up when driving off. Can't operate the passenger electric window from the drivers side, though the car is so narrow it's not the end of the world, and a bit of sound deadening in the rear arches wouldn't go amiss!

We wanted the 75PS engine, though whether it was actually necessary is debatable - I think both version have the same level of torque. We preferred the side-on style of the VW - the kick up at the back of the rear window makes it look much better IMO. The cheapest Up! with the 75PS is the High Up! (god that ! is irritating to type! iPad defaults to capital letter for the following word...though not for iPad) and it's very well equipped for an £11k car I think. Sat Nav, bluetooth, heated seats, alloys etc all standard, along with the usual a/c, ESP, electric windows etc. Ours only has around £300 of options - a sound pack (£100), graphite alloys instead of silver (£100) and a graphic on the roof saying 'This Way Up!' for £125. I think, rather cheekily, VW now charge extra for the candy white that we ordered.

8 months on and it's done less that 3k miles, with the longest trip by far being to Paris. It averages around 48mpg I think, though I've never checked the accuracy of the OBC. Tank is tiny, which was only an issue going to France - 35 litres isn't much :-). 3 cylinder engine sounds great, and if you thrash it it'll move quite briskly (or so it feels!!) up to 80 or so, and is happy at 90 on the autoroute. Interestingly the speed per the sat nav is a good 3 mph less that the speedo at 80.

Just a few thoughts - let me know if there's anything specific

Peter

I see Skoda are currently running a 25% off deals on the Fabia: Finance offers - ?KODA

I did ask about the Fabia, as i like the look of the Monte Carlo.. but they all have turbo-charged engines and the insurance for a newly qualified jumps up quite a lot.

I don't fancy the Toyota Aygo , or the fiat 500 really.. just too small and i worry about safety.. If she hits a wall or rolls it I don't want anything too cramped! Maybe a volvo 960 would be the answer :)

The city pack, at £300 odd pounds includes brakes that apply themselves if it thinks you're going to crash. Don't know if it does, but you'd think that'd reduce insurance, especially for young drivers?

I saw that Pete, and yes.. I would ask for that.. I think most new drivers tend to have slow impact hits.. so that would be ideal!

They did a diesel Lupo in the rest of Europe (well, I assume so, I had one in Italy for a while), that wasn't a GTi but it was a 'Sport' or something, and had the classic red D & I on the TDI badge, had a bigger engine than was available in diesel over here and it went like shît off a shovel.

It had so much torque I reckon it would show the GTi a clean pair of heels in the real world.