What do we think of the B8 S4 Avant?

dgl

Hi Guys

Looking to swap my 08 530D Estate and seriously considering a B8 S4 Avant.

I think I can get my head around the MPG situation, from what I have read 25MPG is about the right number for the 3.0 Supercharged engine - I don't do many self-paid miles, so not a massive issue (I think).

Anyone had/have one and what are your thoughts? I currently have my eye on an 11 plate with 20K miles on the clock, for sale at Berkshire Land Rover at £26,950.

Not sure I like the standard wheels, but I am having trouble finding many manual examples around, which is a must have for me.

What else would you guys consider. Budget 25K, must be an estate. Have had 2 5 series as my last cars and fancy something a bit more exciting.

Cheers!

Absolutely storming machines, stupidly capable, stupidly stealthy, love-it-or-hate-it Audi. I point blank refuse to go for a passenger ride in one as I know my B6 would feel ancient afterwards, the B8 is definitely the next step from mine, but only in the right spec.....

There aren't many manuals around, if you want a certain colour and spec in an Avant bodyshell AND a manual box you might need to hold out for the right one to come up. However, cars do crop up with every option ticked. I'm sure you are aware that the manual gearbox was dropped completely with the facelift, so don't bother looking at 2012 MY cars if you want a manual (although a few old shapes were registered on a 2012 '61' and '12' plate)

After interior colour and trim (carbon please!) and usual things like B&O and Audi Music Interface, 'driving' options to look for include Sports Seats, HDD Nav, Audi Drive Select (ADS) including sport diff, and 19s....

There are two optional 19s above the default S4 18s - twin seven spoke (B7 RS4 style) and five segment (C6 RS6 style)

Couple owners on RS246 and Audi SRS including one of the admins Graham who has posted on here and come along to the MK meet. The guy I bought a set of winter wheels from has one too, mapped by MRC to 462 bhp.....

Bath Audi have an 11 plate Ice Silver Manual with decent spec and under 10k miles for £29k....

It's very nice indeed and, bar the colour, is what I am after too...

I think this is the best video on remapping the 3.0 S4:

2KfMY96v_Gc

Thanks for all the responses guys. Dan - I'd seen that one at Bath Audi, it's too expensive for me though :( I am looking at a cost of change of around 15K.

I am going to see if I can do the deal on the black one I saw at Berkshire Land Rover, which is up for £26,950.

Can anyone give me a part ex price on a 08 530D M Sport with 85K on the clock, half leather, sat nav, bluetooth - oh, and it's manual, which i think makes it rare, but will probably impact the price.

If rear seat space is important, have a check of it.

Yes, the 5 is much bigger, but quite honestly I am going to put myself first for once! Also, my 2 kids are 3 and 8, so only little legs at this stage!

Oh and having just watched the Chris Harris video, I am more convinced than ever. The pre-map 0-60 was recorded as 4.71s, that's nearly R8 performance in a stealthy estate - what's not to like!!

Edited by dgl

My B8 is noticably larger in the rear than my old B6 S4 but at the same time there's not masses of room back there. I can do pics/measure when I get home if it helps.

It's not an S4 but there's not a lot of visual difference although mine is pre face lift (MY2010) (yep must find a better picture!) ;)

Top%20Box%203.JPG

[edit] ooh just noticed this pic is before the missing S-line wing badge was fitted so it's 3.5 years old! [/edit]

Thanks for all the responses guys. Dan - I'd seen that one at Bath Audi, it's too expensive for me though :( I am looking at a cost of change of around 15K.

I am going to see if I can do the deal on the black one I saw at Berkshire Land Rover, which is up for £26,950.

Can anyone give me a part ex price on a 08 530D M Sport with 85K on the clock, half leather, sat nav, bluetooth - oh, and it's manual, which i think makes it rare, but will probably impact the price.

It books at £10500 with the mileage and manual but realistically, I can see you getting offers of £9500 with the fact that it is manual.

Might be worth paying the fiver or whatever it is they want to advertise without being a regular poster on bmwland.co.uk . Plenty of people after 5 Series all the time on there (very 5 Series centric forum) and a manual got snapped up pretty quickly on there IIRC.

Thanks so much guys for all the responses and for the figures Booster. I am going to try and head into the garage tomorrow afternoon. If they offer sub 10k, will see what movement they have on the S4 to get me to my 15k cost of change. Failing that, may well stick on the bmwland site.

If I pay the 15k on finance, they must make a few quid out of the finance?

Thanks again

My B8 is noticably larger in the rear than my old B6 S4 but at the same time there's not masses of room back there.

I compared the B8 avant to my B7 when I was looking to order an S4. The boot seemed much larger and there seemed to be a bit more room upfront, but the rear legroom was still poor, in my opinion. There was maybe an inch more? When the B8 grew 150mm (ish? Ian_C will know) over the B7, I thought they'd address the rear legroom issue. But it seems it was used up in other areas of the car.

The main differences between the B6 B7 and the B8 is Audi finally making an effort to improve the weight distribution / engine location. So the front axle was pushed forwards reducing the front overhang and increasing the wheelbase, plus all of the 128mm overall length increase went into the wheelbase too.

The rear overhang and distance from seats-to-tailgate is broadly similar, but the boot floor seems to be lower giving a deeper / taller load area - no doubt helped by ditching the B6 B7s full sized spare wheel. The drop in the boot floor does however mean the flat load lip-to-boot floor has been lost, but its nothing like as bad as say the A3 Sportback (and I'd rather a lower boot floor than a high 'false' floor with a useless area underneath - ever looked in the boot of an A1?!) So yes the boot is bigger, nigh 500 litres, but nothing like what you get from an A6 Avant or 5 series Touring.

attachment.php?attachmentid=48498&d=1368728271

attachment.php?attachmentid=48499&d=1368728290

attachment.php?attachmentid=47192&d=1351461108

Scotty, any comments, you've had both 'longterm', albeit one saloon and one Avant

post-3281-137914497946_thumb.jpg

post-3281-137914497949_thumb.jpg

I'd rather a lower boot floor than a high 'false' floor with a useless area underneath - ever looked in the boot of an A1?!

That was one of the first things I noticed with the A1, the utterly bizarre and pointless false floor in the boot.

Lifting it up revealed a large area of unusable space, and a spare wheel well not big enough for a spare wheel, but with an electronic box* plonked in the middle for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

*might have been a small battery, can't remember.

I'm still not quite sure how it was signed off. The boot was always going to be small in the A1, so you'd think Audi would have maximised the space available. Instead they plonked battery right in the middle as you say (not tucked in behind a wheel arch on one side like say an S2 / RS2) and to make matters worse the floor isn't even flush, it sits a couple of inches above it!

Hi guys

Went over to the garage this afternoon and drove the S4 - very nice to drive and pulls like a train. Really trying to avoid thinking too sensibly about this change but I almost have buyers remorse before I've bought it! Seems like the car does not belong to the garage and they are selling on behalf of a guy that bought a 108k Range Rover from them.

They have offered 10k for my car and will meet my 15k cost of change, so 25k for the S4. There are also a number of scratches on the bumper by the boot and bizarrely on the roof and they've said they will rectify these ( talking about respraying the bumper).

I am a bit worried that because of these scratches, the car has not been well looked after - think I am just paranoid.

Any chance Booster could tell me the book price for this car 11 plate s4 avant with tech pack high, leather and 20k on the clock - not sure if having the reg number helps?

Interested in any thoughts!

Thanks guys

Rear boot lip on the current A4 Avant is annoying, its got a definite load lip as mentioned above compared to the B6 B7, plus the protective insert strip has been removed too. One of the guys on RS246 had a two month old courtesy car a while back that was already badly marked. So I wouldn't worry about the bumper - however the marks on the roof are a definite concern.

Are those the only options the car has?

I wouldn't focus too much on book price but instead compare this one with other manual Avants in the market place. Book doesn't take into account options, and there are plenty of S4s out there with easily 10k of options, and I'd definitely pay more for a car in the right spec

I like that Scotty, is that something you bought through Audi? Think that would look good with the black too.

This is the list of options that Audi customer services gave me - not sure which of these are part of the Tech high pack, and what's an additional option:

Tech pack high

AMI interface, dvd player, mmi nav plus, radio system 4 mmi +, voice dialogue system

Heated seats

Leather

Parking system +

Cruise

Phone prep, bluetooth

I would assume this is a few grands worth of options?

Cheers guys