iTunes and iCloud

Luke

iCloud has a limited amount of free back up space I think.

It was interesting to see all the music I had ever bought from itunes is now available for me to download to whatever device - so in theory it's already backed up.

That what I was thinking. I'm already paying for a larger amount of storage and will soon need to upgrade again. If I didn't have the itunes in aswell, I wouldn't need to increase the plan.

What you purchased from iTunes can be backed for free, not inc in your 5gb limit. if its stuff you've ripped (or "download") then you have to back it up yourself, to you 'puter.

Where is it backed up Andy?

Its not really backed up at all, Apple know you have already purchased it so as a result will always let you download it again. It just keeps the knowledge of which tracks were on your phone / iPad at the point it sync'ed to the iCloud so it will restore it to the same state if required. Application data / settings from each device also get backed up but are part of the storage you get for free or have bought.

If you say don't backup to the cloud you need to backup the data on your local PC instead and connect it to the PC regularly so as to not lose anything. +++

I used to backup to my laptop but since the iPad and iPhone started to sync on their on own, via wifi I don't back it up anymore. I don't really use the laptop much these days. I use iCloud instead but was wondering if I actually needed it to store my music (itunes and my cd's) and if I could get the data back if something happened to the devices.

You can't really get the data off the devices at least not with Apple software, it would want to blank them first before any new content went on them. However there are third party apps that can get the data off if you wanted to.

I'd let iCloud backup your content on the device but potentially not music and back that up yourself on an HD or with something like crashplan maybe. +++

What you purchased from iTunes can be backed for free, not inc in your 5gb limit. if its stuff you've ripped (or "download") then you have to back it up yourself, to you 'puter.

As Biturbo says, sign up for iTunes Match - £20/year or something and it combines all your iTunes library in the cloud, stuff you bought from iTunes and anything else you ripped, downloaded from other sources thats in your iTunes +++