BMW UK Pricing for M5, M6 with Competition Package & New 518d

Andy_Bangle

Prices-List-1.jpg

The first two are the M5 and M6, fitted with the new Competition Package, which ups the power to 567 hp (575 PS) and “also adds Sport suspension settings, Sport steering, Sport exhaust with Black Chrome exhaust tailpipes and exclusive 20-inch Double-spoke M light-alloy wheels.”

The M5 is wearing its fresh updates for the model-year change, so the optional extra performance also comes with a host of improvements over the previous model. It gets the exact same power boost as the M6, with which it shares its engine, and in basic form starts £73,505. The Competition Package adds another £6,700 to that, so you’ll be paying at least £80,205 if you want to get to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.2 seconds, instead of 4.4.

When it comes to the M6, the option costs £6,500 for the Coupe and Convertible, so it’s a bit cheaper, and £5,500 for the four-door Gran Coupe variant. With the Pack fitted, the drop-top, which is the most expensive of the bunch will set you back £105,880.

However, you can still get yourself inside a 5-Series for a lot less than that, because you can now buy the £29,830 518d. That price is for the basic SE-trim sedan, and if opt for the more spacious Touring model, it will rise to £32,155. It’s powered by the familiar 143 hp 2.0-litre diesel engine, now EU6-compliant, it provides leisurely pace in the smaller 3-Series with good torque (360 Nm / 265.5 lb-ft) – it shouldn’t have a problem negating the extra weight of the bigger 5.

As expected, it returns excellent economy, with the sedan averaging a claimed 62.8 mpg (4.5 l/100km) – this will be an excellent tax-dodging tool for many upper-medium execs in the UK.

Ignore that price. They'll sell you one lot cheaper than that.

There is an new M6 on my local dealers forecourt that is 6 months old.

It has 1,200 miles on the clock and is up for £67,900 - and you'd get it for less than that too.

It also has a mass of options fitted. People who bought them brand new can't be too happy at what they're going for within months. They're finding their real price point.

You can pick up 18 month old M5's for well under £50k now too - with 15k on the clock.

There are two at my local dealers, one at £52k with only 9,000 miles on it. That would go for less than £50k if you pushed them hard too.

Lot's of people have put them in for brand new ones on the deals with were doing, so the used market is stacked with them (or so I was told and it does make sense).

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad I saved a bit on my LCI M5 (list 81.5K my price £68850 ) I have not gone for the £6700 option pack, the increased BHP is at the top of the rev-range and TBH for me anyway unusable.

Exhaust would be nice but those wheels I do not like, the 20" on the original spec I have ordered and like a lot.

The GC - I just don't get it. You pay £10k more for a 6 shaped M5, no more power, less room in the back :confused:

Umm, you should watch this then. There is a noticeable difference on the road....

M6 pulls away from M5

Plus, from most reviews:

- M6 steering more precise than M5 with a better feel

- M6 laps on most tracks quicker than an M5 (if that's your thing)

- In Comfort mode, the M6 has a much better ride than a M5

Edited by MrMe

I am glad I saved a bit on my LCI M5 (list 81.5K my price £68850 ) I have not gone for the £6700 option pack, the increased BHP is at the top of the rev-range and TBH for me anyway unusable.

Exhaust would be nice but those wheels I do not like, the 20" on the original spec I have ordered and like a lot.

Wheels look very after market to me + don't really suit the car.

bmw_m5_competition_package_f10.jpg