Pubs at Motorway Services - good or bad?

Mook

There's been a bit of a red-top reaction to this so far today about Wetherspoons being irresponsible for not asking people whether they're going to drive if they serve them with alcohol.

Seriously? If someone wants a drink, they'd stop at a pub anyway. Surely all they're doing is making it convenient for people who are traveling around in a group to stop and have a drink?

For me, it'd be the last place I'd want to stop, because I hate service stations. If I stop at one, I grab a coffee and go.

BBC News - JD Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40

It's a sad indictment of UK motorway service stations that a Wetherspoons would actually represent an improvement in quality.

Typical response from the red tops. We're clearly such an immature country that alcohol must be hidden from adults who might be driving. Motorway services on the continent have always sold alcohol in their (much better) restaurants and cafes.

Motorway services on the continent have always sold alcohol in their (much better) restaurants and cafes.

But 99.99% of Continentals would be ashamed to be seen drunk publically, only the Brits see getting p1ssed as a badge of honour, there are enough places to get spannered already without service stations doing it.

/sensible head

Technically speaking, it's safer to drive on a motorway drunk, than tired. Therefore, if you get tired while driving up the M40, stop at the services, chuck a few vodka Red Bulls down your neck and head on your merry, safer way.

Yes of course I don't really mean it, but it started off as a true fact. Don't do it, it's dangerous and illegal etc. :P

Maybe not immediately, but think of the drain on the NHS in a few years time. Someone could die because their PCT ran out of beds/money treating them. Then there are the arcades; they're dens of iniquity, young people addicted to gambling spending quite literally pounds, chasing that elusive "two cherry" payout. They'll stagger out into the blinding daylight, just as their 90 minutes of free parking runs out, only to bumble onto the M1, their minds in turmoil wondering if the next bloke managed to get 3 lemons.

If people are stupid enough to drink and drive, then they're going to do it regardless of whether there is a place selling alcohol in a glass (rather than the current places selling it in a sealed bottle).

Why not close all pubs other than those on the motorways? I reckon that would have a bigger impact on the DD figures.

In fact, while they're on, ban all alcohol. And tobacco. And crisps. And sweets. And cars. And bikes. And planes. And fast food. And shouting. And films rated anything other than a 'U'. And the internet. Especially the internet, as it corrupts everyone from the ages of 3 days to 146 years, turning them all into sex monsters capable of killing without notice.

In fact, make it compulsory to walk round in a fücking big bundle of cotton wool and smile at everyone, or else you get murdered to death :rant:

Yes, I've had a bad day. And I'm hot and I'm still working at 8:30PM due to the politically correct bullshit and nanny state politics of this land :D