S6 Avant

Dave

Hi guys...

Yes, I've decided I've done the Q thing and it's back to the S brigade!

Why not an RS6 you might ask?.. well.. not only is it ridiculously priced, and it's pushing the boat too far, it's not really the quality ride that I want in my advancing years.

So i'm back to the S6.. beautiful build as you would expect from an Audi.. plenty of power from the V8 (as much as you need on the Uk roads nowadays) and not too in your face.

It's also around 5 or 6 years since I last had a petrol car.. and I'm really looking forward to it!

Nice.

Not in the same league, but switching from a 120d to Milo's A4 tsfi was an eye opener. It's not very good on fuel when all the journeys are short hops.

I do like a more frantic engine, even if the truth is that diesels with good power to weight are so much easier to drive.

Is it auto?

Hi Chris,

yes it is auto.. I'm not sure if there is a manual option...

The q7 was a hoot to drive due to massive torque.. the Q5 is a little lacking in power and torque, so it's a bit more frustrating to hustle. It's ok at speed but that quick overtake is not always on like it was in the Q7.

I don't know if you have sat in the new S6 but it's a lovely place to be..

I'm not sure I'm the same driver I was 10 years ago.. so i don't need to be hooning it everywhere and trying to beat my time on a 400mile trip.. I'd much rather get there in a relaxed state!

Must be age! :D

Nah, just the acceptance that driving is 90% functionary, 10% of the time you might be lucky enough to enjoy the car for its performance the rest is cruise and the odd chance to make clear ground.

Nice sized car, the boot is a very useful size. The engine is a peach, how many moons before you collect it?

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Nice.

Not in the same league, but switching from a 120d to Milo's A4 tsfi was an eye opener. It's not very good on fuel when all the journeys are short hops.

I do like a more frantic engine, even if the truth is that diesels with good power to weight are so much easier to drive.

Is it auto?

The 2.0TFSI is notoriously thirsty around the doors, especially if you poke it a bit. And add quattro.

If I had a week of pootling between clients within a 5 mile radius of home, it would struggle to return much more than 25-26mpg with very gentle driving.

I'm amazed at the S5 though. I don't know if it's the auto box that's helping but the same journeys are returning around 23mpg. On a run, it's not too difficult to get the DIS reading 30mpg. But having the power (and noise) on tap when you feel like a blast is rather nice.

The S6 will be a lovely drive, I can't see me having a diesel for the foreseeable.

I wouldn't have another 4 pot diesel, which leaves 6 cylinder variants. And the 3.0tdi s-line A5 was almost as much as the S5 when specced similarly. It was a no-brainer for me.

Is the S6 a saloon or avant?

edit - the title of the thread would suggest it's an avant :facepalm:

Edited by Milo

Good choice, have you seen the C&D article? They picked the S6 over the M5/AMG.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-audi-s6-vs-2013-bmw-m5-2012-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-1.pdf

2013 Audi S6 vs. 2013 BMW M5, 2012 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG - Comparison Test - Car and Driver

They tested the 0-60 in 3.6 secs IIRC, and it will do 36 MPG, apparently, as it shuts off four cylinders on the motorway.

Looking forward to your thoughts, when are you due to collect?

Edited by SINGH

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks mate!! ;)

Ok, was looking at nearly new, but the deals on A6 at the moment are so good that it made sense to go new..

So, for those that like their spec:

Audi S6 Avant.. 4.0TFSI quattro s tronic 420 ps

Estoril Blue Metallic with Lunar Silver leather

20 inch alloys , technology pack, BOSE (B&O was over £6000!!!) and some other stuff like advanced key, parking camera, lighting pack etc etc.

Hopefully Sept delivery.. will get you guys some pictures when it arrives.. :)

Thanks mate!! ;)

Ok, was looking at nearly new, but the deals on A6 at the moment are so good that it made sense to go new..

So, for those that like their spec:

Audi S6 Avant.. 4.0TFSI quattro s tronic 420 ps

Estoril Blue Metallic with Lunar Silver leather

20 inch alloys , technology pack, BOSE (B&O was over £6000!!!) and some other stuff like advanced key, parking camera, lighting pack etc etc.

Hopefully Sept delivery.. will get you guys some pictures when it arrives.. :)

I've been fascinated with the 4.0 S6 since it arrived with its completely new engine with the turbocharging down the Vee coupled with the DSG gearbox and its very clever suspenion. I absolutely love the balance of aggression vs stealth (especially in Phantom Black on the default 19s)

Audi appear to have rejigged the options a bit, iirc there were two nav options originally, now the lower one has been dropped and the top one remains, MMI touch which is a beautiful interface. Sat in a new shape S3 recently with MMI touch and it was gorgeous. Estoril was originally something like £1500 but I think its now less isn't it? Be interesting to see the car arrive and your spec. You didn't fancy the LED headlights? They've come down in price too - were something like 2k originally when they were first available on the A7.

• 3 months later...

Well guys, It's arrived and I love it!! Ian is right.. it's just the right amount of power and stealth..

Power and comfort rather than the teeth rattling RS6.. lovely sound when you put your foot down.. soon to be increased with the help of Mr Milltek

Did go with the LED headlights as the xenon is far bright enough and it wasn't (i feel ) worth the option..

I did a lot of the options.. Will list them for you soon.

Cheers

• Like 3

Well guys, It's arrived and I love it!! Ian is right.. it's just the right amount of power and stealth.. Power and comfort rather than the teeth rattling RS6.. lovely sound when you put your foot down.. soon to be increased with the help of Mr Milltek Did go with the LED headlights as the xenon is far bright enough and it wasn't (i feel ) worth the option.. I did a lot of the options.. Will list them for you soon. Cheers

Bloody superb, thats going to be awesome with a Milltek, nice one!!! +++

That looks awesome on peelers.   +++

Haha, I think this one is worthy of your R5 plate, its only 30 bhp down on the C5 RS6 - and thats if you believe the S6 only makes the quoted 420.  Side-by-side, the S6 would spank a stock C5 RS - although obviously the gearbox makes a gigantic difference.

Tried to persuade my friend who was subject of my 'finance advice' thread to go for a VW Up! 

It drives way better than the first generation Rs6 I had.. far less understeer...

It doesn't feel as fast as the RS6, but the power delivery is more linear and it's only when you look at the speedo that you realise the ridiculous speeds you are doing.

I think a lot of the feel is because the S6 is quieter and more refined. It's got a lovely V8 growl under power too, but it comes from the engine rather than the exhaust.

If you accelerate quickly to 70 and then come off the power the engine will cut to 4 cylinders to save fuel..

You can't feel or hear the cylinder management system cut in and out.

I'm most chuffed that I went for the silver leather and interior.. it really brightens the car up inside..

The technology in these cars now is just mesmerising.. It won't be another decade before these things are driving themselves!!

I think it looks excellent from the picture I've seen (even though it was a crap picture and you need to sort that out! ;) ).

Love the colour and whilst I couldn't see the interior it sounds just as good as the exterior colour.  That combination is the best for large Audi's in my opinion.+++

• Like 1