Mazda RX8, 231 BHP

AZURES3

I think this is a lot of car for the money, visited their website yesteray and asked for a brochure and received it today! It is a lot of ar for the money fully loaded with DVD/SAT NAV and leather, BOSE, Heated Seats, Electric Seats 18" wheels etc etc for £25k!

What do people think of this car.

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

And the depreciation could be epic... UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree ARI which is where I was thinking of cashing in, it appears most dealers have ordered the 231 BHP versions with leather, DVD SAT/NAV etc and will be selling them early next year. £25K new you can bet on about £18K for a 1 year old demo.

Although I though SEAT depriciation would be bad but is about the Leon CUPRA R hold S3 ytpe residuals..

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is a lot of car for the money, visited their website yesteray and asked for a brochure and received it today! It is a lot of ar for the money fully loaded with DVD/SAT NAV and leather, BOSE, Heated Seats, Electric Seats 18" wheels etc etc for £25k!

What do people think of this car.

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had one and you're right it is a lot of car for the money. I must say that you've probably seen the best that Mazda can offer in responsiveness, getting that brochure the next day, we had to wait months for any info from Mazda when pre-orderers bought/ordered their cars.

The car is a very good drive and the engine is pretty addictive in the upper revs. The ride seemed very soft to me compared to the R32 previously but they say it handles supremely, even equalling an M3's time on Top Gear's test track, although I didn't have the car long enough to try this out as the weather was really crap in the time I had it.

The std equipment levels are very high compared to its competition if it has any competition at all, as this car is very difficult to pigeon hole. Its also a lot cheaper then its RX7 predecessor as that sold for £35k the last time it was available. I think Mazda under priced the RX8 to draw a lot of buyers in initially but I reakon the price will start creeping up, as its already had a price increase since I bought mine in November and there were a few rumours that the list price will have a fairly large increase very soon.

The downfalls are poor fuel consumption but the very low purchase price more than makes up for that. Oil: I checked mine according to the handbook and didn't have to top it up at all in the 900 miles that I had it. The seats were not that well padded on the side bolsters for my 14st rear end blush.gif and hence when you went around a corner the hard plastic under the bolster would dig in, but this is something that could have been just mine and I would have definately got it sorted if I had kept it.

Depreciation will be a tricky one to predict but look at it like this...the RX7 lost loads because of its higher than Porsche Boxster price tag, hence people would rather have something like the Porsche in the second hand market but because of the very low list price (at the moment) of the RX8 I cannot see it losing loads because it hasn't got a great height to fall.

If you want some temptation here is a pic of my old car and if you want some invaluable info go onto the RX8 Owners Club which I'm still a founder member.

RX8-home5-s.jpg

Anyway after all that I think I still prefer the R32, its more of a petrolhead's car but sadly it will start looking very old soon. Lets hope the new "R" Golf will do that name proud. beerchug.gif