Disc wear- what's acceptable?

Calm Chris

I had some new tyres put on recently and the garage who were a simple fitting Co / agent suggested the pads and discs all round could soon do with replacement.

I did a visual and the pads all have about 4-5 mm on then and the drilled discs minor scoring which I thought wasn't that bad.

in my "minds eye" I'd have thought new pads in three to six months and that the new pads would simply wear to the scoring on the discs.

Since I have no idea what is and isn't acceptable and what is still "usable" disc wear, can anyone enlighten me.

If needed I'll get them done, but I'd just want to make sure the garage isn't simply pulling a fast one and suggesting work that can wait a year or two for disc replacement.

There's no issue with noise or performance.

The cost was £360 ex vat (fronts) and £240 ex vat (rears) which is work, discs and pads.

You can put new pads on used discs, unless the discs are badly worn, which you suggest yours aren't.

What it comes down to is safety, in the amount of wear left in the width of the disks. If they've got a lip on them, it's also probably worth having them replaced.

Tough call to make over the interweb without seeing a pic of the discs though +++

Thanks for that guys, I'll pull the wheels off and have a good sniff about over the weekend.

As you mentioned there will be sensors on the pads for wear, so I'd guess the garage stuff at best is advisory rather than absolute necessity.

Does the assumption that the fronts do the higher percentage of brake performance (70 / 30 rears from what I seem to recall) still stand on cars with all the modern brake management?

Discs and pads sound fine to me then Chris, sounds like garage want the business. Rip off prices too - your 2.0 quattro qualifies for Audis fixed price servicing, so Brake pads & discs (front) £269, and Brake pads & discs (rear) £259

Fixed-price servicing < Servicing with Audi < Owners area

The front pads have wear indicators / dash warning. The discs have the min thickness stamped in the centres, you might need to take the wheel off to see them

Chri5, all the discs and pads were checked by our ex-TSN Audi tech at the last service as I get an honest assessment off him, and he said there was loads of life left on them (discs). He said change the pads if I wanted but none of them were needed. I can't imagine you've cooked the discs in 4 months :grin:+++

Chri5, all the discs and pads were checked by our ex-TSN Audi tech at the last service as I get an honest assessment off him, and he said there was loads of life left on them (discs). He said change the pads if I wanted but none of them were needed. I can't imagine you've cooked the discs in 4 months :grin:+++

London traffic.

Grand prix traffic lights and stomping on the brakes before the camera flashes............. :grin:

Nothing has been cooked, shame on me that in the last eight weeks the car has done less than 200 miles.

In my defence work has been a mile away so walked in, and then there's been holiday stuff.

Anyway what sort of person puts insulation tape round the wheel locking key to make absolutely sure that when its used theres no marking between key and alloy wheel :grin:

Nothing has been cooked, shame on me that in the last eight weeks the car has done less than 200 miles.

In my defence work has been a mile away so walked in, and then there's been holiday stuff.

Anyway what sort of person puts insulation tape round the wheel locking key to make absolutely sure that when its used theres no marking between key and alloy wheel :grin:

:roflmao:

Protection, protection & protection!