Run Flat Tyres - puncture repair or replace?

garcon magnifique

So, it had to happen. Feckin' big fat 19 inch tyres and I go and get a slow puncture.

Advice around the internets can be a bit contradictory.

Given the following, and assuming it's repairable (no idea, haven't found the source yet), would you repair or replace?

- BMW fit Bridgestone RE050A 19" rear run flat tyre

- slow puncture - lost just over 1 bar overnight (from 2.7)

- I do quite a lot of motorway miles

- tyre is nearly 2 years old, has done 22k and has 4-5mm tread depth (so would be replaced before winter anyway)

- I did possibly 5 miles with it under-inflated (i.e. down to about 1 bar) then inflated to normal pressure and did 20 miles home.

I think I know what the correct answer is, especially given the relatively short life left in the tyre... just want a few views.

I'm impressed how far they've done actually. Granted it's mostly motorway. But I wouldn't want to go through winter with less than 4mm so I would be swapping in 2/3 months time anyway (up to 5k miles).

I doubt I've done any real damage to the reinforced sidewall, but there's just that back of the mind thing about a repair and not wanting to be stranded on the M6 when I'm meant to be in a meeting. :P

However that's set against spending nearly 600 quid two months earlier than planned! :eek:

ISTR that repairing run-flat tyres is a no-no :nono:

Some fitters will point blank refuse to.

Apparently it all depends on how far the tyre has been driven on while deflated and thus what, if any, damage there is to the structure. BMW advise the Bridgestones can run as far as 100 miles at under 50 mph ... of course they're screwed by then, but after only 5 miles with still 1 bar or so of pressure they could be ok...

Hmm, not sure about this, I've seen the inside of a non runflat tyre after covering less than a mile with similar pressures, and it was fecked, the inside of the tyre was covered with rubber shavings, yet outwardly, it looked fine.

Obviously having a stronger sidewall, you'd be able to go farther without damage, but 5 miles? I think I'd replace them personally.

Oh yes - I remember the conversation with the fitter, now. His take was that no matter how certain the customer was about how far it had gone while under-inflated, he personally had no idea how true that was, he suspected it would always be an underestimate, and he had no way of inspecting the tyre to see internal damage. He did know, though, that if he repaired it and it went pop taking someone with it, he'd be in the firing line. So there was no way he'd touch that work.

Hmm, not sure about this, I've seen the inside of a non runflat tyre after covering less than a mile with similar pressures, and it was fecked, the inside of the tyre was covered with rubber shavings, yet outwardly, it looked fine.

But the fitter can inspect that and see that it's not repairable. Or, to put it the other way round, if the tyre looks otherwise ok inside and out, they know it's pok to repair it.

It seems a RFT can look ok inside and out but still be fecked.

Can the run-flats and get a pair of proper tyres, then replace the pair on the other axle when you puncture them +++

A popular move, I know.

However, on this car (E92 330d) with these wheels and tyres (19" RE050A RFTs) I'm more than happy with the ride, handling and comfort, not to mention the wear. And I can't help thinking the strength of the RFTs has saved the alloys from pot hole damage on more than one occasion. So I'm going to stick with them. +++

I do have a local place I would go to ... unfortunately he couldn't get them in til the middle of next week. And he's just about the only genuinely independent local in the area! +++

Job done, booked in tomorrow. Quite surprised how far I managed to nail BMW down in the end ... nobody else could do it til after I need to be back down the M6 on Tuesday! :P