Caterham Roadsports - Brands Hatch

patently

Ha ha, we've all been spoilt by the Caterham hospitality and was great to watch the qualifying with our own man "driving it like he stole it" followed up by keeping it on the grey stuff while others lost control during a pretty full on exciting race - bloody marvellous it was ... our kids, plus Dan G's mini me made sure everyone on our grandstand knew exactly who we were supporting and three cheers all round on his parade lap as he waved as he cruised pass.

Weather held too, ice-creams all round in the sunshine and just enough time to watch two more races before the kids decided it was time for afternoon snoozes so we headed home +++

Cheers Patently for sorting the tickets and hospitality, great to share an exciting race day with you again +++

Great result, well done mate.

Thanks! +++

I guess it'll be a novelty to not have to repair anything before the next race :P

Please don't say things like that! :grin:

Race 2 went for about three laps before SOMEONE ELSE did something silly, resulting in their car leaping over the car in front of them/behind me, hitting both of us & punting me off the track and out of the race :(

I'm fine (subject to not fainting/vomiting over the next few days) and the car is largely ok but needs a new roll cage as one strut is bent just behind my head where he landed on me.

No, I'm not kidding :uhoh:

Videos to follow +++

Thanks! +++

Please don't say things like that! :grin:

Race 2 went for about three laps before SOMEONE ELSE did something silly, resulting in their car leaping over the car in front of them/behind me, hitting both of us & punting me off the track and out of the race :(

I'm fine (subject to not fainting/vomiting over the next few days) and the car is largely ok but needs a new roll cage as one strut is bent just behind my head where he landed on me.

No, I'm not kidding :uhoh:

Videos to follow +++

Bloody hell :eek: Good news that you're okay. +++

Here's the race 1 video... 22nd to 12th, partly thanks to a number of people doing passable imitations of me on a bad day, and partly from a new strategy of "calm down, drive the track, take the chance when the guy in front does something silly..."

Edited by patently

And here's the bit you all really want to see... me getting it a bit wrong, spinning off and hitting something. Come on, you don't think I'd manage a whole race weekend without doing that at least once??

During quali:

Turns out that a touch of oversteer on the exit from Graham Hill bend doesn't mix well with use of the kerbs :coffee: No serious damage this time, nothing a roll of gaffer tape won't fix.

Turns out that a touch of oversteer on the exit from Graham Hill bend doesn't mix well with use of the kerbs :coffee: No serious damage this time, nothing a roll of gaffer tape won't fix.

:grin: On the bright side, you weren't the first and you definitely won't be the last to have an off at GHB - last of the great outbrakers +++

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a busy weekend.

The remains of the destroyed rear wing came off, as did all the bits fixed to the roll cage (mirror, rain light, 2x cameras, tax disc, lots of padding) and all the cables around the cage legs were cleared away to somewhere safe.

Then off with the old bent cage - that entails getting the car on the stands to remove half the rear suspension to give access, then 8 bolts come out & it lifts off. Then just drop the new one on and refit the 8 bolts? Ha ha, none of them line up, just like when I built the car 18 months ago.

Trying the novel approach of thinking first, cutting second, I did (eventually) lift it off and test-fit all the bolts... and found that when they powder-coated the cage they forgot to cover one of the threaded sockets. So that needed re-tapping.

With the cage back on, some (ahem) adjustment of one of the chassis holes was needed. Just move that hole by a mm or so, no biggie :grin: And with that, in went 7 of the bolts. Some judicious cleaning of one of the chassis holes with the tap allowed the 8th in, too.

Then dress the cage with the padding, and a chance to improve the old red gaffa tape covering that was getting quite scrappy by replacing it with a nice smooth carbon-fibre effect wrapping (well, fairly smooth anyway :uhoh: ). I need to retain the red cage look, as it is a useful distinguishing feature for my car, and I'm quite pleased with the result.

Then some fussing about with the cameras and cables, re-fit the mirror & rain light, and put the suspension back together :grin:

There is also a rear light that is broken and a little impossible-to-reach cap in the engine that flew off in the impact. I've replaced the cap (somehow, I have no idea how) and started putting the light back. The light would be easy to fix if I could get access behind the panel, but that would mean removing the fuel tank. That (in turn) means removing the roll cage... no. Just, no. Not now. So "No More Nails" to the rescue, hope it works ok!

The rear wing is on the "still to do" list, but I'm getting depressingly good at replacing those. I'll do that during the week.

Then I just need to give it a pre-race check ready for Oulton :grin: