Odd light warnings and condensation in cluster

TrundleFly

2005 3.0 TDI

Here are some things happening with my car (all related to rear right hand side):

• I always have a brake light warning, but when inspecting manually it seems OK.
  • Yesterday (it was raining heavily) as a one off I had a bulb warning but the light looked fine on visual inspection.
  • At the same time as above my indicator went weird. When I indicated right the clicking and arrow on the dash went twice as fast as normal. On visual inspection the light was normal though. Switched off car and started again and it was all back to normal for rest of journey
  • I have permanent condensation in that cluster.

Therefore I'm assuming that the condensation is causing some weird electrical messages. I can't see an easy way to remove it so wondering if anyone has any tips or manuals, or things they have done to fix this e.g. if I can get the cluster off, what is best to use to reseal it etc after leaving it to dry out.

I can't see any pools of water in there, just condensation.

Is it the outer lights? These just have two 10mm nuts inserted from the side - behind two 2p sized plastic pop-outs in the plastic boot-opening edge trim which can be seen with boot open - NOT behind the lamp in the boot itself. Dont drop the nuts or they are probably gone for good. The lamp then just 'unhooks' and slides and swings out. Just wiggle it out at the nut end first.

Condensation in the light usually causes damage to the circuit board or LEDs. The lights are actually about 20 LEDs for the indicators, maybe more for the red lights, so it would seem to work if half the LEDs were not working. I tried resoldering the LEDs onto the board, and drying out the unit, but my soldering skills are completely hopeless, so I fixed some LEDs, damaged others, ended up buying a secondhand unit off ebay. That fixed it fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Had it in the garage today for service and they took a look. Unit is slightly lose at the top so letting water in and the board is corroded so needs replacing. They are quoting around £230 supply and fit but also happy to fit if I can find one on ebay so I will be keeping an eye out. And I remember the days of just having to spend a few quid on a new bulb!

Hi guys, i am in the process of pruchasing a pre-facelift 2007 S8. i had really wanted a post-facelift car that ticked all my boxes but missed out on two cars that i found earlier this year. the current car i have found ticks every box i wanted except for not being the post-facelift 2008 onwards version. but 25k miles on a 2007 car is too good to pass on.

anyway, i noticed this thread and thought i'd pose the question to you guys. is it possible to perform a straight swap of the pre-facelift tailight clusters for a set of post-facelift ones. as far as i can tell they seem to be the same size and shape, what i don't know is whether the connections are the same and if they will operate properly.

have any guys on here heard of this swap being done before or if its actually possible. if its not i'll just have too get over it and live with the pre-facelift look, theres definately worse things i suppose :)

• 3 months later...