Citroen DS3 lease deals

eldavo69

I can't believe I'm typing this but we're thinking of getting a Citroen DS3 (possibly cabrio) for MrsEldavo.

She currently has a 320i cab (with lovely red leather Booster) that we've had just over a year, however in the last 6 months we have had to have various bits of bodywork attended to due to careless drivers and a bit of wanton vandalism.

A work colleague of MrsEldavo's has scuffed the bumper and wing mirror on Friday and it is the final straw. The plan is to get a smaller car that is a little more discrete too (a shiny silver BMW on 19's looks very out of place when she's doing home visits in the less salubrious parts of Newcastle's West End).

We've looked at a few options but she likes the Citroen DS3 a lot at the moment, given she had the Alfa Brera for 18 months and this for 14 months so far we've looked at relatively short term lease deals. Found this one from Lings Cars on an 18 month lease (horrendous website, the joke just isn't that funny, but the prices do seem good):

http://www.lingscars.com/Citroen/DS3_Cabrio/1975111-1.6_THP_16v_(155bhp)_DSport_Plus_Convertible_2dr_1598cc-personal.html#models

Anyone got any info on what they're like as cars (apart from me swearing we'd never own a French car) and any tips as to good lease deals?

I had one for a week when my BMW went in to have the door done.

The 1.6 petrol engine needing a bit of revving to make progress, the steering, brakes and clutch have no feel in them and are massively over-assisted.

Only the top spec. model comes with Bluetooth - but, strangely, all get cruise control.

But, all of this was overshadowed by a driving position that was bizarre to say the least. Far too high off the floor, and with no lumbar support for the back.

Guy at the paintshop said they're really marmite - you either get on with them or you hate them with a passion. I was in the latter court - and just couldn't get comfortable in it at all.

I was really disappointed - as I really wanted to like them - I think they look fabulous from the outside and have some neat interior detailing. (although the 90s inspired LED displays are awful).

The 155bhp DSport is more powerful and better specced than the courtesy car I had, though.

I've had most of the smaller Citroen / Peugeot range in hire car guise in recent years, and they have definitely got better over time.

They all feel 'cheap' and even my fleet / lease friend from a well know hire firm said they get rid of them after a year as so many things go wrong with them - despite warranty, 'its not worth the hassle getting them fixed' - quote: 'many don't make the year'....

If you are looking at £20k there are some much more comfortable bits of kit about, which still dont stand out and you wouldnt have to wear a disguise to drive.

Given the occupation of your wife you don't want the car to let her down.

Chap that works for one of our tenants is on his third DS3. I thought it was down to the deals such as you have found. Turns out the second one was a replacement for the first that had problems and the third is a replacement for the second which also had issues!

Chap that works for one of our tenants is on his third DS3. I thought it was down to the deals such as you have found. Turns out the second one was a replacement for the first that had problems and the third is a replacement for the second which also had issues!

And he's still got it (through choice?)   Crazy!

I've had various DS3's in different specifications and guises as company cars now and think they're fab, for someone who's only ever bought German cars and did not expect much, it really won me over. I've even taken one down to Amsterdam (from the Midlands), four up, and it was as comfortable as I would ever have needed it, plus, it cost me less than £100 in fuel and managed 65MPG at 80+ MPH. 

If you go for the 1.6 diesel, go for the 115 over the 90.  Same tax bracket, both under 100 Co2s, hence the quicker one is still tax free.

True, however, the 90BHP diesel is more than adequate, and the 115 means having to go for the sport specification - which has a list price of at least £2,000 more off the top of my head, I wouldn't pay an extra £2k for the 115 over the 90, you'd have to want the sport spec, personally, I feel the DStyle Plus 90 HDI is the pick of the bunch and the best value. The 115BHP gives you a six speed gearbox though, and I find I get better MPG because of it cruising at 80 (km/h) *ahem*.

I had one for a week when my BMW went in to have the door done.

Only the top spec. model comes with Bluetooth - but, strangely, all get cruise control.

Yes, my local BMW dealer also run a fleet of DS3's, it's because some insurance companies insist on paying them cut price labour rates so it is cheaper for them to lease the Citroens than supply BMW's. 

Also, on the bluetooth - it is now standard from the mid-spec model upwards (DStyle) this is effective from June 2013, possibly July. 

Any DS3 questions, put them my way guys. I work for the eccentric little French firm. 

He's been unlucky, the DS3 has just won JD Power supermini of the year, I speak to DS3 owners almost every day and I love how incredibly loyal and passionate they are about them, and we've sold lots to repeat customers, It would be unfair to dismiss the DS3 because of this one individuals' experience IMO. 

The BMW didn't go to a dealer - it went to an 'approved accident repair centre'...

Ah, well, I took my RS6 in to BMW for a wheel refurb and the bodyshop manager said he chose to lease the DS3 as they were cheaper than BM's, assumed other dealers were doing it too. 

She's seen an Adam on the road - she wasn't complimentary.

Will get down to a Citroen dealership and test drive one then we can play with the specs and engine choices. I just figured that going for the top spec and engine would soften the blow from what she's used to.

Thanks for all the opinions and observations, need to get the BMW sorted and ready to sell too!

Any DS3 questions, put them my way guys. I work for the eccentric little French firm.

What abouy the DS5 Hybrid? Are they proving reliable?

I almost overcame my worry of buying French, but then when giving one a proper going over at Goodwood I discovered that the seating position is ridiculously poor, and the boot non existent, I was hoping it would be a viable and more stylish alternative to a Prius, but it wasn't to be.

No! No, no NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I had one for a few days in the south of France recently, brand new, it was utterly wreteched. diesel auto cabrio DS3 with all the trimmings. Stuff didn't work, the steering was dead, the gas pedal had no feel and went from 0 power to lots of power if you brushed the pedal. Stop start was infuriating. Controls were awkward. It was noisy, thirsty, slow and ****ing hateful. I wanted to like it but is was wretched. AVOID !!!