Moving from an Audi A4 to BMW 520D - one guy's experience

Waylander

The mobile signal input into the equation is what BMW made a big deal about.  They reckon that the sheer volume of mobiles on the roads mean that it makes incredibly fast communication of incidents very easy.  In theory, you could be 1/2 mile behind a car that then has an accident...and be made aware of it before you get to it.  Whether that works in practice or not is something I've yet to discover.

Have you got a cradle and an iPhone?  If so, the Eco Pro app is very clever, as is BMW Connected. 

Does the cradle give more functionality than simply connecting via bluetooth?  Seems a bit old skool but may explain why I've always thought I was missing out on 'stuff' that the an F10 can do. 

You don't need the cradle, just connect the phone via USB cable. 

You do need the cradle if you want full functionality.

A USB cable provides much of the functionality of a Media cradle, but not all.

Plus, don't forget there are Media cradles and Phone cradles - and the latter has less functionality than even a USB cable.

The music interface is very different through the Media cradle.  It is much better.  It is not the same as with a USB cable.

The phone antenna on the roof only works through the cradles too - not via the USB cable.  If you're using a phone via USB, you're not getting the same strength you do through the external antenna.