The new steed..

CJ92

Would you agree about the rflts jim, was yours fitted with the michelin pilot ss's.

Pop over to babybmw S3 some very good info in the sub M135i/235i forum.

Think you need to check your tyre pressures, pretty sure your on rflt's..

The PSS's grip surprisingly well in wet conditions Jim, driving within normal perameters of course.

Read an article in EVO a while back, they were interviewing the Head of M Division, and he was saying they dont use rflt's on the M cars for the exact reasons you have just described.

As you correctly state the M135i will leave the factory shod with PSS's unless rflt's have been specified..

CJ,

Bridgestone Potenzas all round. 36psi all round when I checked +++

Yep Rflt's and those pressures sound rather high for just you in the car, explains the skittish handling. I would go 34psi all round and see how that feels. You probably need to be between 32 and 34psi..

CJ,

I will try and reduce or play around with the tyre pressures and see what happens

Patently, how can they setup the car for my needs? Where would I take it to, to get this done? I don't push the car hard and I've vowed it's never going in Sport+ mode. Still, in the modes I drive. I'm sooooo careful. In actual fact. I only mostly drive in the docile Eco-Pro mode. That's what I'm comfortable with.

As much as I laugh... You're a twat Charles! :P:grin:

Have never used Eco Pro, my favoured mode is Sport and Comfort when just running about.

Have a play with the TP's they really do make so much difference. 36psi all round is way to high.

It would be beneficial if you could have ago in an M135i shod with PSS's, maybe worth ringing round a few dealers, to see if they can oblige you..

Go with the manufacturer's set up first. They're designed to be what suits the car and tyres best.

No they're not.  They're to optimise a number of factors, including what suits the car, tyres and driver, but also a number of other factors such as fuel economy, noise, tyre life and so on.  They're just one compromise, not necessarily the compromise you prefer. 

That said, all my road cars run at the manufacturer's recommended pressures :lol:

If you're taking your car on track, tyre pressures are critical for getting a consistently handling car, and, if you're doing it properly, you'll end up adjusting your pressures in different ways for different tracks, based on taking tyre temps across each tyre - it's called Tyre Pyro and it's a very simple concept, but very effective.

Ain't quite the same for road cars :P

Tony if you think the car is a tad lively. You should try it on the OEM winter set up.

A 205 section winter tyre on the rear made for interesting driving characteristics. I used to get home from any drive with a huge grin.

Just think what it would have been like driving it in winter conditions :P

• Like 1

I will try and reduce or play around with the tyre pressures and see what happens

Patently, how can they setup the car for my needs? Where would I take it to, to get this done? I don't push the car hard and I've vowed it's never going in Sport+ mode. Still, in the modes I drive. I'm sooooo careful. In actual fact. I only mostly drive in the docile Eco-Pro mode. That's what I'm comfortable with.

Tony, how dare you consider selling after the buying process we went through  :eek:   :cry:  :roflmao:

My 2p's worth, get yourself booked on a driving course day.

I think you have become accustomed to the reassurance of 4wd/haldex of the last 3 cars you've had and the mini M is making you 'feel' uncomfortable, whereas its very unlikely the car would have you going sideways into a hedge, unless you were being very silly in sport+ mode on a wet day. Most BMW's have a fair amount of tolerance before they let go and a lot of the time it can be mind over matter.

IIRC, I'm sure Eco-mode provides softer suspension setting whereas the sport modes firm things up, so maybe worth a play?

• Like 1

Max,

I've done the driving course day before, albeit a while back. I do think you have a point though about being comfortable and accustomed to the 4WD system.

I only seem to drive her a few miles on weekends these days so will see how it fares this coming one as I have quite a lot of miles to do.

No, I haven't been silly in the wet in sport mode. I did try once though and noticed it doesn't take much for it to start slipping all over the place. Scary I tell ya :grin:+++

I need to do one of this driving day thingies too Tony if you fancy pairing up ?    

Sometimes I get the C63 and feel like I'm stuck to the road no matter what, other days I feel I have to to concentrate more*

* and just to clarify, not when reversing :P 

• Like 1

CJ,

Don't get me wrong. I'm not moaning here. Its not that it isn't the car for me. It's just the revelation that this is quite a rapid car and takes me outside my comfort zone of feeling confident about whatever it can chuck at me.

As said above, I've mostly always driven 4WD cars which I now know have made me too comfortable and lazy. Also, I'm not the type who goes around hooning it at every opportunity. I like rapid cars but have a tolerance level of zilch when it appears to get so bum squeakingly quick so suddenly.

Maybe I should just buy a Micra as I sound like an old man. Anyone know any nice knitting clubs in Essex? :P