New M3 and M4 video

DanG

Wow, that's impressive.  Still, you're stuck with the base spec moreorless?

I must admit I'd have reservations because I wouldn't buy based on the 'deal' and would be more inclined to get the spec I 'wanted'.  Nonetheless, I can see the attraction because that's an superb price.

The base spec is hardly 'poverty' ;)

I'm not doing a very convincing job of dissuading myself am I?

Very true.

I'd want the 20" wheels, competition package, internet, climate screen and privacy glass.   However, I'd also want the lumbar support which isn't standard so I'd go for the M seats which again aren't standard. 

But, and it's a big but and I can see why you'd want one - that price is astonishing.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a lot of extra options in terms of cost (the competition package is something like £6k alone).

Thing is, I see an M5 with 19" wheels on quite regularly.  It looks lovely, but they're big arches to fill and even on my car the 19's don't fill the smaller arches like I'd want them to.

The 20" type with the competition pack looks superb.

For me an M5 would be a q car. So I'd probably have it in grey and I'd keep the standard 19s. And most of the time it'd be filthy. So to 99% of people it would be identical to every other 5 series, which is perfect for the corporate car park. I'd have the Harman Kardon sound. And I might be tempted to go for Silverstone upholstery.

An M6, on the other hand would be a different proposition. That would get the lot.

Which reminds me, my local BMW dealer has a gorgeous white M6 in stock for sixty grand. They've got a rather nice end of line white M3 too. I've barred myself from going in for a while.

I wonder if Eastern will lend me an M5 for the day while mine goes in for a £90 brake fluid change?! Maybe I'll try that tack again in May when it is due its oil service and MOT.

I would have expected your spec to contain the multimedia dashboard or whatever you call it MrMe - I thought you were rather taken with that. Or is it standard?

I wonder if Eastern will lend me an M5 for the day while mine goes in for a £90 brake fluid change?! Maybe I'll try that tack again in May when it is due its oil service and MOT.

I would have expected your spec to contain the multimedia dashboard or whatever you call it MrMe - I thought you were rather taken with that. Or is it standard?

It would have done - if it was available on the M5.  But it isn't.

I think that's a real shame but apparently it is something to do with the M sport config options through the central information display.  I didn't understand what the hell the Master Technician was talking about, but it seemed to make sense at the time (although he agreed it was a real shame).

• 4 months later...

I'm certain I saw either an M3 or 4 parked up on Berkeley Square yesterday. Was in a hurry so by the time I'd gone back to check, it was gone. Park Lane BMW in owned by BM so maybe not a surprise to see one there.

EVO's first drive was quite positive. The only negative thing they had to say was that like any turbo it sort of ran out of breath high up the rev range, just where the E92 V8 was singing and giving its best.  So it may depend what you're used to.  If you love wringing the neck of a NA V8 keeping at high up the rev range for peak power then the M4 will probably frustrate.  I know that's precisely the news that would put off the likes of Woppum and maybe Mac - certainly many E92 M3 owners.  

However ... if you prefer riding the crest of a great big huge wave of mid range torque you'll find all the performance in the world and a car that has significantly more accessible performance than its predecessor.

Edited by garcon magnifique

I think the reviewer hit the nail on the head though.  A soundtrack you enjoy has to accompany any performance car.  I fear that V6's just don't achieve this.

You might hear a chirp and pleasant note from the exhaust pipes if you're outside the car, but inside you'll never match the noise or rumble of a V8.

It had to happen, there's little doubt about that.  It isn't nice to see it come to fruition though.

It's not the fact it's a V6 imo, some of the best sounding engines ever made are V6's, it's because it's turbo'd, the turbo robs the engine of it's exhaust note.

Personally I don't really see the issue with it not being an NA V8, things change, nithing stays the same forever, if you want an NA V8 M3 their are still plenty of them for sale, and will be for a long time, you just won't have the latest model.

Until any of us have sampled the noise first hand it's pointless commenting. The video mics don't pick up the sound in a very representative way. The C63 sounded not much different to the M4 on the internal shots!

That'll be the artificial sound synthesiser.