Applying for refund on tax disc

drpellypo

When I went to look at the X5, never looked to see if it was taxed. Dealer said when I was paying deposit that it wasn't, so I paid them to tax it. Had a look the other day and notice that in fact it does have 6 months tax remaining on a disc that's underneath the one I bought, only it's not got the current reg plate on, rather a private plate. Does anyone know if I can send this back to DVLA and bag myself a few quid?

it's 6 months, so £150 something quid. And you can't claim back the tax without sending the disc in, I think. And all you have to do, to do it, is send a form with the disc glued to it. I've done it before when trading in a car and it was hassle free. I'm just not sure if I can do it due to the fact the reg is different to my car.

If it is in a different (ie private) reg, when you change the plate they send you a new one with the new reg on it & tell you to dispose of the original.

I suspect the previous owner forgot/couldn't be @rsed to do this & that is whet you are seeing, so the legit one will already have been cashed in.

As above, when the private plate came off, they'd have received a replacement tax disc with the new (original) plate on it, they should then have destroyed the disc with the private plate on it, as it's now void.

So they obviously cashed in the replacement but forgot to destroy the other one.

So basically, it's worthless.