Love this

Luke

A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.

Humphreys, an unemployed mechanic, was taken to court after refusing to pay the original £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road.

After entering a not guilty plea, he threw down his unconventional challenge. Humphreys, from Bury St Edmunds, said: "I was willing to fight a champion put up by the DVLA, but it would have been a fight to the death."

• Like 2

A £25 fine for not notifying the DVLA your bike is off the road seems mental to me, they shift the onus onto the owner to check they they have received the owner's letter and also received the DVLA's acknowledgement, a petty way of offloading their responsibility and generating a few extra quid through fines. I think offering them a fight to the death is perfectly reasonable. :)

• Like 1

Quite.  He didn't tell them that he wasn't using the bike and so didn't need to pay them anything.  How awful.

An example of my point elsewhere about the ever-increasing complexity of the law and how it departs from simple issues of right & wrong.

A £25 fine for not notifying the DVLA your bike is off the road seems mental to me, they shift the onus onto the owner to check they they have received the owner's letter and also received the DVLA's acknowledgement, a petty way of offloading their responsibility and generating a few extra quid through fines. I think offering them a fight to the death is perfectly reasonable. :)

Even worse given they are scrapping sorn I believe, must look into that actually and see if i'll need to sorn the Subaru at the end of Feb or not.

Even worse given they are scrapping sorn I believe, must look into that actually and see if i'll need to sorn the Subaru at the end of Feb or not.

Don't think they are scrapping it. As far as I understand you will still declare SORN as you do now but the difference being you don't need to renew it every year, like yoj do now. It remains SORN until you tax / insure it or scrap it.

Don't think they are scrapping it. As far as I understand you will still declare SORN as you do now but the difference being you don't need to renew it every year, like yoj do now. It remains SORN until you tax / insure it or scrap it.

Ta, any idea when it comes into force?