Hey Patently....

Booster

.....our favourite car dealer is getting some bad press:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Salesman-car-dealers-conned-poorly-grandad-pound/story-20419999-detail/story.html

I accept that the salesman was working fraudulently and legally there may be no obligation on them to reimburse the chap but this has happened in a BMW dealership 500 yards from their head office and the same paper reported this last year:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicestershire-car-dealer-Sytner-exceeds-3bn/story-18125733-detail/story.html

You would think that the goodwill they would get for giving the bloke a car (even a used one) would be worth the cost to them wouldn't you??

My car is due a service in 1500 miles and I am going to a 100 mile round trip to avoid the above Sytner branch! (I have to say there are two rubies in the dust within the group that I have discovered so far though).

Tricky one.  It says he conducted the deal outside of hours, but one would imagine he walked into the dealership to start his enquiry process.

If it was my company, I'd be seeking give the guy the money as a gesture of goodwill - but in doing so they are pretty much admitting liability that isn't theirs, and that in turn can set precedent.

Awful.  They have basically employed a crook, so should be liable.

That poor bloke.

I would also have thought, that ANY self-respecting company would sell him a car for a nominal amount ie £5, so they can say he bought it and it wasn't 'given' to him as an apology.

Sometimes, these companies have no idea about customer service.  But Mr P and Booster already know this.

Sytner are liable. He walked into the dealership and was steered to this guy. He handed over the money because he knew the guy was a Sytner employee. He arrived at Sytner intending to collect the car. The deal was entered into because he was a Sytner employee.

For Sytner to say he wasn't acting in the course of his employment is rubbish. The report says the family are taking legal action against Sytner; I'm guessing they'll succeed.

Sytner's attitude stinks, frankly. Makes me want to go for a test drive in an M5, quietly tossing my race licence onto his lap about half a mile out from the dealership.

• Like 2

Sytner are liable. He walked into the dealership and was steered to this guy. He handed over the money because he knew the guy was a Sytner employee. He arrived at Sytner intending to collect the car. The deal was entered into because he was a Sytner employee.

For Sytner to say he wasn't acting in the course of his employment is rubbish. The report says the family are taking legal action against Sytner; I'm guessing they'll succeed.

Maybe they'll do something on the qt with a gagging order?

My email to the Dealer Principal:

Dear Mr Crossan,

You may remember that you arranged for my 640d Gran Coupe to have a courtesy valet at Sytner Leicester due to the way that my purchase enquiry was mishandled (ignored in fact) leading me to purchase from another Sytner dealership.

I read the article in the Leicester Mercury last week with disbelief. How an organisation like Sytner can claim that your employee was “not acting in his capacity as an employee” when he carried out his actions is an absolute disgrace.

I have worked in vehicle finance for 18 years and thought that you should be made aware that every dealer that I have spoken to since the report in the Mercury is aghast that you have not compensated Mr Alexander. If car dealers are speaking about it, I’m sure the public are as well.

Even if Sytner now do the right thing and reimburse Mr Alexander, I believe it will be too little, too late and the damage to your reputation has been done. It would be have been excellent publicity to give him a car (which wouldn’t have cost the group £21,000 obviously) but instead you now have such negativity that a petition has been set up and once again the story is back in the Leicester Mercury again today with many negative comments posted underneath it.

With your dealership being a stones throw from Sytner head office, I would have thought that protecting the brand would have been paramount.

Yours sincerely

Booster

• Like 1

In line with the reputation, I'm fully expecting the reply (should there be one at all) will be along the lines of...

Dear Booster

We don't finance our cars with you so kindly get f*cked.

Yours sincerely,

Mr Crossan

P.S. We scratched your car.

That's not to criticise your letter by the way, rather a sad reflection of their poor reputation.

Edited by garcon magnifique
  • Like 1

Not heard anything and don't expect to hear anything. He tried to get my business back via a letter of apology and a courtesy valet. That wouldn't have worked and I just wanted to let him know my feelings on the subject of Mr Alexander.

Of course, better publicity wou;d be for BMW UK to give him a car - in a big fan fayre.  But that won't happen.  Way too late for that.