Audi TT revealed at CES shows latest tech

News_Stig

I think it is cluttered.  I've decided (I was unsure on FB).

Flipping between Nav and the dials?  Maybe it'll work with time, I'm just not sure.  I love the idea though, and I think they'll crack it and it'll be a winner for them.

The MFD shows my next turn, road signs etc in the digital display, but I still have the full Nav view in the centre of the dash.  So I get the information I need in front of me, and can look at the bigger picture if I want to.  Would I want it all on one screen and to have to flick from one view to another?  I'm not sure.

So they've got the screen .... it all depends how they use it. 

However from what we've seen it is just a display. Where Audi have been lacking is the IT/multimedia integration.

To me it's just a natural progression but not ground breaking. Time will tell what value it adds.

So they've got the screen .... it all depends how they use it. 

This is so true, I have one in my range rover and all it does is display analogue dials, a complete waste of time ! there is so much they could have done with it other than just copy what was there before.

Really?

Does all this tech guff & marketing waffle add to the actual  "Driving Experience" at the end of the day?

Blu tack your "Air" to the steering wheel;

Upside; you will save yourself a few bob by not having to bin your current sh1t tech spec of a motor

Downside; try and avoid any accidents which might encourage the whoopy cushions to inflate

Sorry call me a techphob but WTF do I need all this stuff in my motor for...........so I can sit in Strensham services all day "Twiddling" my dial?

I like the idea of the a multi-function display, but I'd want it to be highly configurable, from a very minimalist driver centric view to a wide selection of alternatives including nav, travel alerts, music, ecoshyte and so on. 

As for internet and multimedia integration and such I'm not sure how much of that I'd use unless I ended up doing proper high miles and using the car as my office.

So no one else gets frustrated by "I know it could do this but it doesn't" ?

I've gotten frustrated with every car's multi-function tech display control widget thing that's had one.  They all claim to be for the benefit of the driver, but they invariably end up being tech for the sake of it, or badly thought out tech.  BMW M5 anyone?

Stick an iPhone on the dash or wherever for your satnav and throw the rest of the clever stuff away.

To answer multiple posts in one...

I love the MFD on the 5 series.  When I get into the X6, I feel as if I've taken a huge step back in technology.

The question has been asked 'does it really make driving easier?'.  Well yes, in my opinion it does.

I'll not post swathes of images again as most have seen them, but the MFD on the 5 series is crystal clear and displays nothing but valuable, highly useful and relevant information when you want it.  The levels of integration (a key point that was raised above) is stunning.

I select all music or radio listening through the MFD.  One roll of a button on the steering wheels converts the revs counter into an information display of tracks, playlists, radio stations or whatever it might be.  It is very fast.

When running with Nav on, directions appear between the 'dials'.  They mean I only look at the main Nav when I want a wider overview.  They're full colour, show road signs, arrows in the lanes I need to be in, etc. 

The fuel gauge can be shown in standard form or 'bar' form with the range available.  If Nav is on, a small dot will appear on the fuel gauge to show you how much fuel you need to get to your destination.  It's just one of a mass or clever little touches.  The speed you're doing is shown in larger digits (i.e. if you're approaching 60 mph, say, then the '60' on the dial will get larger as you approach it, and then smaller as you pass it and approach 70, which is turn will get larger.  That might seem silly to those wondering how useful these things are, but having driven a Jaguar XJ before mine (with its fully digital dash), the BMW is streets ahead in how it displays information.

I can't get across enough how clean and uncluttered it is.  It is easy on the eye (I certainly find myself having to focus slightly harder when driving the X6), it automatically changes colour depending on the outside lighting conditions, it offers different features in Sport, Normal or Eco Pro mode, and so on.  For example, in Sport mode the speed 'dial' is replaced with digits like in the old Astra GTEs (I don't know why I think of that, but it's the first time I saw it).  The dash turns red in that mode, whereas it has a wider mix of colours in Normal mode, and a lovely blue and white in Eco Pro mode.

All of these changes do make driving easier.  The level of information available is perfect.  Enough for me to rarely need to look at any buttons or at the central display, but not enough to be distracting.

Getting back to integration though - that reallllllly matters.  Email, social media, calendar etc.  They might not be important to others, but they are critical to me when I might be doing an 800 mile round trip in a day (usually about 400-500, but it can happen). 

The car will even automatically email a client to tell them how far away I am, where I am, and what my estimated time of arrival is - if I want it to.  I don't have to take my eyes off the dash, stop to do it on a phone, or try to do it on a phone whilst driving (which of course I wouldn't, etc etc). 

The range of BMW Apps, the car connectivity with the right options and the integration of these with the MFD is outstanding. 

It was a big factor in my choosing the car, and I would be very reluctant to give it up in any future replacement.

p.s.  Something anyone with ConnectedDrive can do and is a huge favourite of mine is to use the WikiTour App.  I have learned so much about the UK from that App I can't even begin to give examples.  Wherever you are, you just select WikiTour and hit the 'speak' button.  The car will then tell you about the area you're in, local landmarks, history, businesses etc.  It teaches me something new every day, because I use it all the time.  I just sit and listen to it tell me all manner of stuff.  I prefer it to music or the radio much of the time.  It is incredibly educational and what might be seen as 'gimmick' App is actually far from it.  Everywhere I go, I'll listen to what WikiTour says about it and the places I go through to get there.  I just like learning, and it teaches more than almost anything else I can think of.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe