McLaren P1

Rachel

Lol! I wish, but the arcane (and now irrelevant) local industry protectionist laws means these LHD beauties are not available to the "common man" in Oz.

I'd have ordered both a P1 and a 918 Spyder if I could...

...then learn how to live with one kidney, one lung, one eye and not enough money to fuel either.

Having said that, there is a rumour they made a single RHD version for the world's richest and biggest car nut - the Sultan of Brunei.

BTW, the man I don't like gives his opinion of both of these cars: http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/mclaren-p1/mclaren-p1-versus-porsche-918-spyder-which-best

• Like 1

Well he seems to like the P1, interesting he says that an 'insider' says the car did more like 6.30 around the ring, very impressive if its even close to that.

And I'm sure Mclaren like this final comment

The P1 deserves all the success it gets. It is, for the time being, the most exciting car to drive in the world.

Well he seems to like the P1, interesting he says that an 'insider' says the car did more like 6.30 around the ring, very impressive if its even close to that.

I did mention in one of the other threads about this car and the 918 lap time that they may have gotten close to or broken Stephan Bellof's record time set in one of the insane Porsche WEC cars all those years ago. Be interesting to see if I was right. :)

Gt spirit is very good, I know des. He has good experience with p1, hyarrrrra, zonda, agera r , etc and is well rated. Think its a better article that Suttcliff. I have heard that the supersport is still faster than the p1.....despite sutcliffs option.

Yes carmad I agree. The Ferrari will sound best, look and feel the most special that I'm sure. The Porsche will be far better made than the others and in the real world the fastest. Personally don't get the p1. Looks like an mc12 with a body kit, same inside. Apparently drives very similar too which IMHO is sterile at best. Fact of the matter is even if the laf was no faster than the 458 it would still be the most desirable....but actually it is.

They are currently trading at double retail....

I think Macca will drop.....not sure on Porsche, a lot made but even with the ring time it may be still not fully appreciated....

I think the big thing about the 'ring times is the 918 did it on the standard road tyres the car will be delivered with. I've heard that the same may not have been true for the P1 lap.

I agree too that the 918 will be the best engineered* (and longest lasting) and the fastest in the real world.

I'm very curious as to how the unfinished CF and CFRP parts of these cars will last in countries like Oz where we have the nastiest levels of UV in the world. Unprotected plastics here only last a couple of years if the vehicle is out and about a lot during the day.

* All my Porsches were beautifully engineered, but the Panamera took that to a whole new level with the quality of the finish. One can assume the 918 is at an even higher level of quality.

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

The 918 is supposed to be the best made car in the world right now...that is the feedback from friends who have driven it and subsequently bought it.

Back to the p1 apparently the race setting is too low for the ring so it had to do it in sport, even then there wasn't enough clearance. This is my understanding. In theory the p1 should be much faster....in reality maybe it's too compromised...

Thats strange as in those articles one of the things it mentions is the ride height is good and not stupidly low. Also when you look at the videos of the car that are out there of it going round the ring it seems to have no problems at all as it would be fairly easy to hear if it was bottoming out.

I personally don't see the 918 as a great car it doesn't sound good in fact in the videos it sounds dull in comparison to even the P1 let alone the LaFerrari. Its not that good looking either, yes it has elements but its not a wow car like the others are, its certainly no poster child that is going to appear on kids walls.

I hope they have a head to head of them all, fingers crossed someone can get it together to sort out some of the facts from fiction once and for all.

• Like 1

918 v LaFerrari vP1 comparisons are all subjective though, surely.  I don't really care which is faster round the 'Ring - it's the driving experience to me that would count.  I love the look of all of them and each one has it's own attributes.  Passion and flair in the Fezza, engineering excellence in the 918 and clinical excellence in the P1.