5th gear

Luke

The RS4 was an RS246 forum members car.  :)

I can imagine the thread:

"Does anyone have a car that they're happy to let VB-H sit in and squirm around in on the driver seat while she makes that noise that only she makes?"

[....]

"Ummm, one at a time please..."

• Like 1

Was this 2 seperate items?

Thought the E63 was up against the RS6, not the RS4.

Different size and class of vehicle?

Yep - they said if you don't have the money for the E63 or RS6 then how about ..... and they had cars valued at £1.5, £4k and £15k or something like that.

Yup, a Mondeo ST220 as the bargain basement über saloon, an MG ZT* 260 as the mid priced, and the RS4 as the higher end 'bargain' saloon.

*I never know which MG is which, ZT, ZS etc, it was the one with a Mustang (ish) V8 and RWD based on a Rover 75.

The V8, despite what I've said above, is a good car.  They sound very nice too and in the low state of tune they have a huge amount of potential to make them very fast indeed (whether the chassis is up to that is something else).

Clarkson really liked it and said it wasn't an out and out fast car (obviously) but it still had 410 Nm of torque so it had a little bit of a shove in the back and the power was accessible very low down.

The proof is very much in the origins of the ZT 260.  It was derived from the X Power car they produced.  That had 500 hp and used exactly the same 4.6 litre engine - albeit with a big supercharger on it.

So, spend £6k on a car ZT 260.  Another £3k on a top end supercharger conversion, and you have a very fast, but very cheap, car.

Same engine as the old, pre 2004, Mustang - with quite a lot of cutting the chassis to convert from front to rear wheel drive....

I remember a friend went out to buy a diesel Golf about the same week as MG went bust (2005 as I was in the US) and came back with a main dealer sourced, nearly new ZT260 for IIRC a bargain £13k....they were giving them away at the time, not huge sellers at the best of times, but then they were giving the entire range away by that point and boarding up the dealers.

I remember it well as there was a lot of banter about Golf TDI v V8 as he had gone out looking for something economical.... He then asked me to send over lots of air filter bits and bobs and even researched a mustang exhaust - proper petrol head he was! Good lad! 

Interesting show tonight. Main item was AMG E63 vs Audi RS6

I wont spoil it for those yet to see it.

So the RS6 was a tad quicker and braked a tad better (but much noiser brakes) and weighed 90kg more than the E63.

The E63 was more frugal and had much better seats (which I would have thought to be important criteria given you sit in them for so long).

But the RS6 was the better car? They should have tested it against the E63 AMG S wagon...

More frugal?

I don't think it matters when both were doing around 7mpg!

I think the issue they had with the C63 was that they simply couldn't get the power down, in the straight line tests, yes the Audi was only a tad quicker to go and stop, but on the track, the Audi destroyed the Merc.

Personally I'd still rather have the Merc.

Edited by Tipex

Its not really a real world test, as who would track either of those cars? But it doesn't really matter you got to see a couple of great cars being thrown around. 

I'd go for the Merc for the noise as much as anything and the better ride for real world use. If I was going for an Audi the S6 is more than enough for anyones needs. +++

To put it into a bit of perspective about these beasts...

The RS6 is longer and wider than a Panamera.

That you would toss something that large around a circuit speaks a little about the size of your cohones. Have a SLoT moment in one of those and it would hurt.

More frugal?

I don't think it matters when both were doing around 7mpg!

I think the issue they had with the C63 was that they simply couldn't get the power down, in the straight line tests, yes the Audi was only a tad quicker to go and stop, but on the track, the Audi destroyed the Merc.

Personally I'd still rather have the Merc.

They should have tested the E63 S 4Matic - 577bhp, 4wd that cracks 0-62 in 3.6 seconds.... Bonkers!

• 2 weeks later...