New Golf R

Luke

As CarMad says, it's a completely different sound when an engine is under load.

Personally i'm not a fan of that sound, but it seems to be the way things are going these days.

Artificially creating 'exhaust' noises rather than simply allowing the mechanical symphony of the engine to come through.

I'm not a fan of the sound of the latest AMG Mercs for the same reason, all that exhaust noise is fake, it's not the true sound of a V8 engine and all the pops and crackles are artificially induced by the engine management system, modern fuel injected engines shouldn't make exhausts pop and crackle, because they shouldn't be over fuelling to induce it.

From outside, the noise of the exhaust and engine are real. It's from inside the cabin, you can't hear the actual sound due to sound deadening and the cabin is fed an artificial synthesised sound through a speaker or the sound system.

Edit: re-read Tipex's post and slightly misunderstood what he was.saying initially. Get.it now:-)

Edited by Cuprabob
  • Like 1

The Subaru flat four is a classic case in point. It sounded its absolute best in 1993/4 Group A 555 trim, the muffled off-beat bass thrum from the uneven headers, punctuated by the crack and pop of the anti-lag. And that didn't have any fancy exhaust treatment - just a single straight through 2 and half inch pipe.

Any of the ridiculous 4" plus back box exhaust mods ruin that sound, drowning out the warble with their harshness.  The ITG air filter and ScoobySport back box (single pipe similar to the approved Prodrive upgrade) on mine took it to just about the right level - a bit more noise on intake and better exhaust flow than the factory twin pea-shooters to accentuate the flat four.

Saw/heard a C63 give it the beans yesterday. I do love the noise of a proper V8, but this was too harsh so I suspect it wasn't standard. Funnily enough, a couple of cars behind was a Jag XK convertible. Standard 5.0 V8. That sounded altogether more sophisticated. Just enough there under power to have presence, but not nearly so in your face as the Merc.

Edited by garcon magnifique

I always liked the Rip Speed look of the WRC Style Subaru on the road during the 90''s.

I tended to think, possibly wrongly I'm sure, that the driver had used an old 5litre Dulux paint tin, taken a tin can opener to one end, sprayed it Matt black and welded it onto the existing exhaust. They'd drive up and down the streets, with one hand down the front of their shell suit trousers keeping their 'semi' ready and looking well cool.

That said, I never did ever chose to buy a Subaru........!!

• Like 1

As CarMad says, it's a completely different sound when an engine is under load.

Personally i'm not a fan of that sound, but it seems to be the way things are going these days.

Artificially creating 'exhaust' noises rather than simply allowing the mechanical symphony of the engine to come through.

Perhaps that's why I liked the sound of it.

The exhaust drowned out the straight 4 cylinder noise. 

Which is why I will try my hardest not to have another.

Edited by cruiser647

But it's got to be LOUD to be any good.

Unless your decibel level is higher than AC/DC on stage, it's a feckless aftermarket exhaust......

You've got to be able to shake windows in their frames and awaken small children from their sleep!!!

Edited by TP27

That Golf sounds ridiculous for a 4 cylinder, completely artificial. 1 pipe per cylinder? Just ahahahahaha.

The funny thing is Mac, if you drive the Golf R in ECO mode, it's as quiet as a mouse. I'm almost minded to put a "Hybrid" badge on the boot, in place of the R.....!

I get a 4 cyl doesn't always sound great, and you can do stuff with it to make it sound better...but that just sounds silly. Would be interesting to hear what it sounds like under load however, I bet it's different?

I get a 4 cyl doesn't always sound great, and you can do stuff with it to make it sound better...but that just sounds silly. Would be interesting to hear what it sounds like under load however, I bet it's different?

Yes - in RACE mode with foot flat on the loud pedal, it does sound good. I've done just over 1,200 miles now and it is bedding in well. At full chat on a decent B road, through 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, it does growl, but only like a tuned 4-pot that it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a Lapiz Blue one with Cadiz alloys in my local dealer earlier and it was lovely but not a fan.of the wheels at all. One winter and that polished face will be full of white worm. I much prefer the style of the optional 19"

I agree the optional 19" alloys on both the GTI and R are better looking.

The R400 Cadiz alloys are different to the normal R versions so lets see what happens with the production version..... :)

12571032305_585099d638.jpg

:)  +++

Edited by Riz