New Golf R

Luke

Tipex - the performance pack on the GTi only adds 10bhp so the R would still have a 70bhp advantage.  It carries a brake upgrade and better diff I think.

As with everything, it's horses for courses.  With only road driving I doubt the additional abilities (if there are any!) of the 135M would shine through for me and I think the R is a nicer looking car.  Agree with MrMe that the BMW interior is going to be a cut above but I think the R will still be a bit special and (like the 135) be something of a Q car.

Why do people buy hot hatches?

Usually because they want good performance and an engaging drive but need to make a few concessions to practicality.

If it needs to double up as a family car and/or you regularly carry rear seat passengers with legs you're probably going to appreciate the extra space the GTI offers.

Which raises an interesting question to bring this back to topic. Is there any significant difference in rear cabin and boot space between the GTI and the R?

By the way, if I was considering buying an M135i I'd be quite happy with Jennifer Clarkson's review. Because the lemming fúckwits that take any notice might now look elsewhere, which means they might stop flying out the door quite so quickly and better deals might be had. :P

I don't disagree with any of that Garcon.

But, 3 people on the back seat and a nuclear warhead that won't narrowly fit in the boot?  Hmm. 

I agree with the last line too.  Anyone with any sense will watch that review and note the fact that, in reality, one car is far superior to the other for the primary reasons in the real world - i.e. straight line blatt away from another car.  That's what hot hatch drivers do, isn't it? ;)

I think the Leon Cupra is a good compromise with 276bhp and IMO, a nicer looking car than the MK7 Golf.

I saw a black Cupra on a 62 plate yesterday, at the sea front.  It was gleaming and looked lovely.  I don't really know what the interior quality is like on a SEAT though.  I would imagine it is noticeably inferior to the Golf?

I bet the Audi forums are full of absolute fúcking morons today screaming, "LOOK!!! REAR WHEEL DRIVE WILL KILL YOU!!!"

It was a very clever piece of television that BMW fans should be thankful for. It will stop idiots buying their cars.

(Just in case anybody needs to be told the blatantly fúcking obvious: If you have a powerful RWD car, don't switch all the electronic bits off and then accelerate hard through standing water at 120+mph, and if you do don't blame the car when you die.)

I saw a black Cupra on a 62 plate yesterday, at the sea front. It was gleaming and looked lovely. I don't really know what the interior quality is like on a SEAT though. I would imagine it is noticeably inferior to the Golf?

Yes, the interior is not as good as the Golf but is much better that it was in the MK2 Leon, which was woeful.

Also a 62 plate is the older MK2, MK3 is much nicer and there is now a 3dr, which wasn't available on previous incarnations.

Edited by Cuprabob
  • Like 1

How many Golf R cars do you see, T?

Honestly? I don't know, and I consider myself a 'car guy'.

I know of a couple that I see regularly, because they are local cars and I see them often, but otherwise I doubt i'd spot one and differentiate between it and a GTi unless I was behind it and the badge/daft exhausts were staring me in the face.

Edited by Tipex

All depends how far you take "a few bits".  I would think with similar spec the Bimmer will always be a few grand dearer. But you're talking BMW vs VW, 3.0 6 cyl turbo vs 2.0 4 pot turbo and (roughly) 310bhp vs 220bhp. 

I also tend to think different models have an ideal spec level both in terms of resale and what best suits the car. And from that point of view, the Beemer's ideal spec level is, I think, higher than the GTI's.

I'd be interested   +++  What colour/spec have you gone for?

Lapiz Blue 3 door manual, Panoramic Roof, Leather, Pro Nav and 19" Pretoria alloys - I think I'll love it but maybe a nice E-Class CDi in AMG would have been cheaper and a better buy - in Black too, I could have pretended to be a Private Hire driver ...................

Interestingly, when the MK7 R pictures were released the majority of R32 owners, who commented on the R32OC forum, said it looked dull and boring however everyone who has witnessed one in the flesh has did a U turn and said it's stunning, especially in Lapiz Blue. I've yet to see one in the flesh myself.

You're not old enough for an E Class yet Tosh. ;)

Maybe - but for a better driving experience and no doubt a more economic deal, I should really lower my aim now and prepare for the Oak Suit, gracefully.

It may persuade others on TSN that buying a Golf R is indeed an act of complete insanity at my time of life................

Kia have some new cars being launched soon.............

On paper the GTI does look expensive for a comparatively slow car - and IIRC the dealers were offering zero discounts when I looked at it last year.

Basic configuration with DSG, leather and nav on a 5 door:

GTI PP DSG £32k

Golf R £34780

M135i £35400

I will add that the Golfs come with slightly more basic kit as standard (park assist etc) and you'd need to spec the BMW up a little more for an accurate comparison.

My money would be in the R, if it wasn't already in the S3.

The Mark VII Golf R is surely going to damage older R32 model residuals further?  That looks cheaper than the old model, doesn't it?

I'd be suicidal if I'd bought one of the last generation that was going at £40k+ with a decent spec (I'd have been off the edge of a cliff long before anyway, because I still think it is the most ridiculously priced car of its type of recent years).

A three year old Mk6 Golf R, lowing mileage and a decent Spec. will still cost you between £21 and £24k from a Dealer - private may be cheaper but then there is MOT, Warranty etc. to take on board.

For say £34k average new, that's not too bad IMHO - that's retaining over 60% here or there.