Dealer order the wrong enigine in my new car - What are my options?

toni509

Hi

Back in January I ordered a new Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 CDTi 120 PS Start/Stop. Today I picked it up and drove away only to realise there was no start/stop so the car must have the wrong engine. (the 120ps only comes with start stop option).

My original order paperwork only states that I ordered a 2.0 CDTI, it doesn't specify which model although I did verbally check this at the time of order.

I took the car back to the dealers and they say its too late to do anything as this morning I did sign a form that did state that the car was a 130 ps engine that I didn't notice.

does anyone know what my rights are as I'm going around in circles with the manager at the dealers?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry, my mistake. I'm talking about an Insignia. The 130 is cheaper than the 120 but the 120 is meant to be more economical and qualifies for free tax. So no wonder I thought I was getting a decent deal on price when all along they were quoting me for the wrong engine but I couldn't of been clearer about what I wanted to order.

My builder-friend has a neighbour who bought a new Audi A6 3.0 TDi something from the local dealer here.

He went to drive it away and couldn't get it to go anywhere.

It was at this point he realised they'd given him a manual car instead of the automatic he'd ordered.:roflmao:

To be fair to them he was told it was their mistake and he kept the manual car until the automatic arrived.

That's good for your friend. My dealer are not admitting the mistake. They're saying the car I've got is what I ordered! Don't know what to do next.

The best advice is above - contact a solicitor immediately.

The problem, I guess, is the order form you signed and then the confirmation on delivery form you signed.  That said, I still think it is a matter you should pursue via the legal route.

The order form is the issue. It only states that the engine is a 2.0 cdti and when I questioned this it was verbally confirmed that I was ordering the 120ps so I didn't think it was anything to worry about.

The only form that mentioned 130ps was a form for the car to be taxed and to be honest I didn't read all the documents because there was about 10 to sign, I was too excited to just get in the car and drive off. silly I know but if the order has stated the full engine discription I'd of noticed the mistake at the time of ordering.

We have had people who ordered Quattro and it got 2wd, or bits of kit that didn't arrive, one even rejected the car twice before they ordered what they wanted. 

But it was all clear that it was wrong on the order form, you need to speak to a solicitor to get advice but it might be worth telling the dealer what you are going to do and see what they say. Personally I'd consider point blank rejecting the car and show that you are very clear what car you ordered are they as clear from their side as it would appear you have both got documentation that might not be clear. 

I would contact the finance company and seek their advice.

I drove a brand new car back to an Audi dealership a week after picking it and rejected it because some of the 'standard' spec was missing. You need to stand your ground and if need be, give the sales manager the keys and walk out.

And listen to earlier advice and seek legal advice ASAP as well as contact trading standards and Vauxhall customer services.

If you've got nothing on paper with the exact spec of the car, you may be on sticky ground. But it also means they haven't got anything in black and white either.