Anyone had a broken collarbone?

patently

Broke mine a few years ago along with 5 ribs (actually did my first Scumball whilst still recovering full function.

Make sure he takes at least 200% RDA of vitamin D & calcium, keeps his arm & shoulder supported, does not lie down, but sleeps propped up and regularly removes his arm from it's sling to keep other joints mobile.

Oh, and the real killer do not take anti-inflamatories, as apparently they slow the process of bone regeneration.

• Like 1

I managed to "graze" mine once. Apparently I shaved a few bits off it without actually breaking it. That was as an 11 year old on bike, off bike, sliding into wall type of thing.

If it hurt anything like mine did, then my thoughts are with Master P.  Apparently a nice old lady asked if I was alright (as you do) and my heartfelt tearful answer was, "No, of course I'm not f*cking alright!"  Ungrateful little wretch that I was... :uhoh:

Edited by garcon magnifique

My son also "kinked" his collar bone, was very painful and the consultant said usually more painful than if he had actually broken it!!  He was trying to do a stunt on his bike and didn't land off the ramp still on his bike ..... the consultant also said stunts only count if you land them (my then 10yr old was not very amused  :wacko: ).

Hope he feels a bit better soon Mr P +++

I broke my collarbone at uni, playing, funnily enough, rugby. Wasn't that painful immediately afterward but I knew something was wrong, and then I could see it. Bad tackle (not intentional, was a good friend of mine) meaning I fell very awkwardly.

The biggest issue I had with the healing was impatience - I kept thinking it 'had to be OK by now' and then going out and hurting myself again. It didn't break again, but I knew the pain was from the original injury. So my advice would be a lot of patience - it took a good 8-10 months I think for me to start to forget about it properly, even though I was back to 'normal' during non-sporting stuff relatively quickly - couple of months I think? Was a fair while ago, so time may compress.

I broke my collarbone at uni, playing, funnily enough, rugby. Wasn't that painful immediately afterward but I knew something was wrong, and then I could see it. Bad tackle (not intentional, was a good friend of mine) meaning I fell very awkwardly.

Bingo +++ Exactly what happened yesterday.

Thanks Mac, useful.

Reading the other replies above reminds me that my biggest issues were that I lived alone at the time & had to manage that.

I am not the most patient person either & every time I went for another X-ray & there was no progress I was climbing the walls.

Also that it happened at 8:30, I then got a lift home, got my leathers off & was all the time tninking, "this is going to hurt tomorrow" then at 11:30, I removed my T-shirt & thought "oh feck, that shouldn't look like that!" Off to A & E I go to collapse in the waiting room as the adrenalin had now well & truly worn off!

I dislocated mine at the top of a welsh mountain coming off my mountain bike.

It was quite painful having to ride down, each time I had to brake the jolt of pain was pretty nasty.

Friend came down because he pointed out (speaking from experience) that it is almost impossible to lift your bike into the car when you have done something like that.

Was amusing getting to A&E and they asked what I had taken: 1 co proximol(sp?). She asked why only one (don't know) and she also asked why they were about 3yrs out of date (because they were in my camelbak!).

Did my other shoulder a couple of years later on the SAME mountain.

Hope Master P recovers swiftly.

A very common injury amongst the motorcycle racing community. Last year at Assen, Lorenzo crashed and broke his on the Thursday. Had it plated on the Friday. Then raced on Saturday and finished 5th. At the next round he crashed and managed to bend the plates he had fitted. He then decided to miss a couple of rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Junior P recovers soon +++

He's coming along nicely, ta +++

X-rays show a clear fracture across half the bone, so it's not severed and provided he takes care it should heal perfectly. By the time he got to the consultant (8 days from the break), there was already a detectable bump on the bone courtesy of the healing mechanism.

He'll miss the rest of the rugby season though, which he's upset about. We'll try and get him in for the last meeting, though. He might not be able to play a full part by then, but better than missing out.

• Like 3