National / European Anti Speeding Campaign

Biscuits

Had the heads up on this from another forum, thought I'd spread the good news.

"seems there is an anti speeding campaign this week in the UK as part of a European campaign so keep your eyes peeled, runs until Sunday or Monday"

http://www.cambs.police.uk/news/news...sp?NewsID=8156

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...nd_Darlington/

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/...s_week/?ref=rc

Feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck feck :ffs: :ffs:

Laser speed trap on the way home.  On the pointlessly-30 section of an otherwise 50mph road.  The bit that is (you all know one) beautifully straight, perfect sightlines, nice and wide, no hazards, no obstructions, no accident history that I know of, but has a 30 limit because the drivers on the other side are heading towards the pair of hazards that you've safely negotiated and put behind you (at 30, natch... :ffs: )  The bit that everyone does at 40+, and no I'm not making that up, everyone fecking does.

Obviously the edict from on high arrived saying go and enforce some speed limits because we have a box to tick, so knowing that some good numbers are needed they've headed for the most fish-in-a-barrel-like site they could think of.  Sod Thames Valley Police's reputation amongst drivers, they don't matter, let's just produce the numbers that the Home Office wants. 

Anyway, I went into the section at 40 but spotted her and dropped to 30 sharpish.  No idea whether I did it in time or not.  So now the two-week wait starts :ffs:

Wait - no - I forgot, I was in the Porsche,... so they'll be really sympathetic and generous.  That's how it works, right?  They won't be little screaming balls of envy in their peaked caps, will they?

• Like 1

You're unlikely to spot us.  I'm not looking forward to the millions that will be having the same idea.

Oh but hang on, yes, what am I talking about.  I can guarantee where you'll spot us.

Just hang about Harvey Nichols and you'll see me escaping for 5 minutes every hour to get a break from the shopping extravaganza that MrsMe and LittleMissMe have planned.

Between there, LV and the other shops around the corner, it'll pretty much account for most of Saturday.  And I wish I was joking.:roflmao:

I spotted a marked Galaxy on a bridge over the M4. Initially ignored it, as it's usually the traffic wombles - but when I got close enough, I saw it was blue and yellow battenburg, rather than black and yellow.

Had cruise set to 90... hit the brakes and am now hoping for the best.

Didn't see any speed measuring kit and they weren't chasing anyone...

If I've been caught, that's a written warning at best from work. We have a zero tolerance policy on speeding and phone use in company cars.

If you're staying overnight, leave them to it and go to the Cafe Royal and enjoy some traditional Edinburgh hospitality!!!

Nope, she's decided that 2 hours in the car is no longer sufficient distance for us to stay over.  That is a last minute change too.

Instead, we'll go early and leave late.

That's brilliant - for them.  Because guess who'll be doing all the driving and guess which 2 will be fast asleep most of the time in the car?

Leave them alone?

I wouldn't even go with them in the first place, they want to go shopping they can drive themselves!

There is method in my madness.

When I'm there I can influence purchases.  If I'm not, I have to stomach the prospect of them wanting to go back next weekend and change everything....

I spotted a marked Galaxy on a bridge over the M4. Initially ignored it, as it's usually the traffic wombles - but when I got close enough, I saw it was blue and yellow battenburg, rather than black and yellow.

Had cruise set to 90... hit the brakes and am now hoping for the best.

Didn't see any speed measuring kit and they weren't chasing anyone...

If I've been caught, that's a written warning at best from work. We have a zero tolerance policy on speeding and phone use in company cars.

That puzzles me. Why 90? At that speed, you're pretty much nailed on for a NIP, so why not set it at 80, where 99% of the time you're going to be ok. Does it really make that much difference to your journey time? If time is so important, I'd leave 10 minutes earlier.

If you're accepting that 90 will get you done, why not set it at 98?

I've done a few miles this week for a change. Cruise set at 80 and the odd time I've drifted north of that 'manually' for whatever reason.