National / European Anti Speeding Campaign

Biscuits

Tyre noise?  No, there are no problems at all with that.

The 5 is simply a very, very well insulated cabin when cruising.  Don't misunderstand me, the X6 is a very quiet car too - but it definitely isn't as quiet as the 5 when cruising.

Mine has 19" wheels on, the X6 has 20" wheels, but tyre noise has never been a problem on either.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I have averaged 46.3 mpg over 13,500 miles. That mpg is going up all the time and on most of my long runs I'll easily do 50-55 mpg.

I don't drive it slow. I just don't drive it at 90 everywhere and I can concentrate without having to glance left to an iPad blu-tacked on the dashboard. :)

I get back from South of Bedford, to North of Newcastle, in just over 4 hours when leaving at 5pm.

Oh and the 8 speed auto box on the 5 series is magnificent. I put much of it down to that and the MFD dash transmitting so much information at a glance.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

chaps...as this is a speeding thread, can i just repeat a question from elsewhere.....

Ok, I was stopped by an unmarked cop car doing a ridiculous speed a couple of months ago on the M5 near Worcester.

I normally drive at 65 these days cos i'm getting on and i can't afford the petrol, but this night i was keen to get back so I could meet the chaps for a drink.

Anyway, all of that is irrelevant, but I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of this.

It was very much a fair cop...I was doing 90-odd and although I spotted them when they were behind me, they'd already taken a reading and pulled me over.

they said that "west mercia" would be in touch...why did they use such distancing language? doesn't matter, but it got on my nerves at the time, as if they were somehow not part of it...anyway.

so that was 27 Feb...they gave me some paperwork in the car, but I've heard nothing since.

surely i can't have been jammy and got away with it somehow, can i?

i thought the speed they had registered was faster than i was going, but i wasn't sure...either way it was definitely a court appearance rather than just points and fine.

so what do you think has happened? do they have to get in touch within a certain time? or are they just teasing me?

any experience? thoughts? suggestions? obviously i'm not going to get in touch with them to ask!

i presumed that a computer would just line me up for a court date and i'd have to deal with it. seems a long time to wait to hear anything....

ok, thanks in advance for any replies...

Did they caution you at the side of the road?

When I was stopped for 119.2 on the M20 in 1998 (I think), I got a ticket there and then but then didn't hear from the court for THREE long months... this was because they'd read me my rights (after the riot act) at the road side.

£635, 14 day ban and no points if you're wondering

As above and mentioned in the other thread they only need to tell you that they were putting you forward for the offence of traveling at X speed etc etc. and then they have up to 6 months to respond with the paperwork on the final offence they are going to try to prosecute you for. 

sorry for hijacking the original thread....and Many thanks for these responses, chaps and chapesses...really very much appreciated.

a real moment of madness from me....pissed off with myself but also feel a bit unlucky as ive been driving round at 65-70 for the past few years with no unmarked cars writing letters to me saying how nicely i'm driving.

one bloody time just to get to the pub to see my mates cos i hardly go out....grrrrr.

i doubt they'll believe me.

anyway, wouldn't it be better for me to get a ban? especially if i could serve it while i was abroad with work.

i dont want to be driving round on eggshells for the next 3 years on 6/7/8 points or whatever.

what do you seriously reckon i'll get points wise and finewise?

(un)fortunately i got my accounts for last year not long ago and profits were down...less than 10 grand accordng to my figures from my accountant...a little massaged, but hopefully they'll take pity on me with the fine...what can i expect? £500/600? 

either way, your thoughts and advice are really welcome...thanks again....

As has been implied above the "notice of intent to prosecute" is what needs to be delivered/passed on in some way in the 2 weeks after the event.

From what you say this happened when they stopped you, so they can be in touch any time in the next 6 months....... Que long wait.......

As for what you will get, it depends on what "90 odd" actually means?

91 is obviously very different to 99 & both would attract different penalties.

If I were you I would be expecting 6 points and several £100 as a bench-mark & anything better would be a bonus.

As has been implied above the "notice of intent to prosecute" is what needs to be delivered/passed on in some way in the 2 weeks after the event.

From what you say this happened when they stopped you, so they can be in touch any time in the next 6 months....... Que long wait.......

As for what you will get, it depends on what "90 odd" actually means?

91 is obviously very different to 99 & both would attract different penalties.

If I were you I would be expecting 6 points and several £100 as a bench-mark & anything better would be a bonus.

From the other thread, he was doing 100.52 mph!

• Like 1

many thanks for all your thoughts on this, chaps...i think i'm just going to have to grovel to the beak and see what happens.

no point in spending money on a brief...what can he do?

what does mr loophole do, by the way? how does he get people off?

dont think i could afford him though...ha ha