Michael Carrick (Manchester United)

Andy Carroll (West Ham United)

Tom Cleverley (Manchester United)

Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC)

Jon Flanagan (Liverpool)

John Ruddy (Norwich City)

John Stones (Everton)

Edited by Daz

I would have taken Carrick, probably instead of Lampard. Lampard has the greater goal threat but I think Carrick's retention of the ball will be missed in hot and humid conditions.  I think it's a gamble to take Luke Shaw instead of Cole but at least that shows some faith in youth, as does the inclusion of Barkley (although to be fair there'd have been a huge out-cry if he'd been left out).  A bit worried we have one (dodgy) right back with only centre backs who have played right back as cover.  

Apart from that it almost picks itself, although I can't for the life of me work out what Carroll is doing on the standby list.

England manager Roy Hodgson on the selection dilemma between Southampton's Rickie Lambert and West Ham's Andy Carroll: "The fact he played for Southampton had no effect, but Lambert had been with us throughout qualifying campaign. It's great to see Andy Carroll back playing but it was a choice between two players and I didn't think there was room for both."

(BBC Online)

Because Roy's far too polite and respectful to say, "Seriously? Are you havin' a fackin' laugh?!"

Smalling shouldn't be there.  He has been awful this season.

One world class striker, one good striker (Sturridge), one skillful player who doesn't score enough (Welbeck) and one guy who frankly deserves his chance in a major tournament (Lambert). 

I like the fact only 6 of the squad have played in a world cup before, in a way.  Give them the chance, but let's hope he doesn't regret it with three bad defeats (instead of just not qualifying for the second round, which is what I think will happen).

What I don't understand is why Hodgson said he had been told the nation had a real sense of excitement about England in this tournament.  What the????  :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Well I don't suppose he can say, "I know most people don't expect us to get out of the group" ...

Lineker sums the squad up rather well for me: "Bags of attacking talent, much unproven but exciting nevertheless, blatantly short defensively through the centre."

In a tournament where most teams will play two defensive midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 we don't appear to have picked any.

Roy's on a bit of a hiding to nothing, though, isn't he. It's not like he can pick a squad that will actually do well because we don't have the talent right now. I think he's done the right thing in taking a chance with a couple of injury prone players. At least they are both talented and stand a chance of making an impact at the international level. If they break down, there are reserves.

Surely Andy Carroll would be the "something slightly different" and "Johnny Foreigner doesn't like it up him" option? I'm not saying I like it but that is the rationale.

James, I don't think the squad is the main issue.  It's the style he has them play.

There is a complete lack of creativity.   We are one of the most awful teams in the world to watch.  The way we whimpered out of Euro 2012 to Italy, with no attacking will whatsoever was just unforgiveable.  Since then we've changed nothing.

A little stat for Luke:

It's the first England World Cup squad since 1954 with no Tottenham players in it.

That's sad. However, Dawson and co have been very poor this season. And most of the other players are not English. Shame really.