Diesel smoke

cruiser647

Now, as you all probably know, diesels produce smoke.  eh Tipex..........

Mine is fine cruising about, but the minute the foot is extended on the loud pedal, fog horns go off and darkness decends across the land (behind me)

I have tried spraying the old carb cleaner stuff into the tubes, but the poxy little straws never go far and the engine isn't running, so it doesn't really do much.  The straws come out looking awful after touching the sides of the manifolds and pipes.  Years and years of carbon, oil and soot!  It most probably will have been restricting the EGR gubbings to.  I have seen pictures of other people removing and cleaning the inlet manifolds (2 x inner and 2 x outer) and seeing a wall of sh1t on them!  Would be all the way to the intake valves.  And also take about 4 hours to remove, clean and then put back (unless you soak them overnight in stuff)

No-one had straws flexible enough to bend around the throttlebody and allow the turbo pipe back on until I saw this 'sea foam' stuff with a special bendy straw attachment!!!  Bought some on ebay and got Number 2 daughter to rev the car as I sprayed this stuff in.  Along with some normal carb cleaner for good measure.

Wow!  What a difference!  I can put my foot down and the smoke output is more than 80% less!  This stuff must have cleaned out a lot of sh1t.  The car sounds smoother and quieter.  Just need to check see if mpg has improved.

Reckon I'll do it again after 20K miles I suppose.

However, I don't know if it would mess up the DPF things on more modern diesels?  Shouldn't do  I suppse?

Go on then why and what with the Nitro+ Diesel do to the car to make things better. :coffee:+++

Unique formulation of cleaning agents ;)

But, on a serious note, it does work. My Passat used to get a bit dirty around the tail pipe - that was run on supermarket diesel. My BMW doesn't produce anything at all. I know technology has moved on with DPFs etc - but there's never even a slight trace of diesel soot or grime on the bumper of the BMW - and, with it being a silly colour, it would stand out like a sore thumb if there was anything there.

Since buying the car last March, I can count on one hand the amount of times I haven't used normal Shell in it.  The V stuff is just too much extra.  And it won't clean the inlet pipes!

M8ckn - the smoke might have something to do with 230K miles on mine - always serviced on time though.

But there is a junction on the way home from work and I have to pull out from a little lane (from stationary) onto the A1, so the foot stays down in Sport mode and that initial burst used to produce a lot of smoke, kicking down used to produce a lot - not as much, but a lot!

Won't the black gunge in the inlet manifold be coming from the EGR plumbing, though? - so if you're getting cleaner exhaust gas, you'll get a cleaner inlet?

But you're right - the cost difference isn't for everyone. Especially if you're paying for it yourself.

A long-term test in my E39 530i told me it was marginally cheaper to run on Shell Optimax petrol. 

Man-logic says that all premium fuels are therefore worthwhile on all the cars I've owned since then :secret:

• Like 1

After the last time we discussed Nitro+ diesel (and i'm not comparing petrol here, because I do believe that has a marginal benefit) I ran my car exclusively on Nitro+ diesel for two months.

Bearing in mind I fill it up twice a week, and it has a big tank (£95 to fill up on Nitro+) so we can rule out any 'not using it long enough' arguments, I saw absolutely bugger all difference in MPG, which had been accurately measured both before, during, and after using Nitro+, and remains at a constant average of 53.8MPG.

I saw no reduction in soot whatsoever, although I should say that it only smokes when it's due a service, service interval is 12.5k, starts to smoke around 10k and gets worse until serviced, although taking it out of town and giving it a blast will clear the soot up for a week or so, and putting the EGR blanking plate in stops the smoke altogether, but then it has covered over 200k so a little smoke could be accepted, but as I said, with blanking plate in, it doesn't smoke at all.

Can't detect any difference in power/smoothness whatsoever, and i'm very sensitive to that given I sit in it all day, so I know exactly how it feels.

So all that happened in the two months I ran on Nitro+ was I got charged an extra £15 every time I filled up compared to Shell regular diesel, although in reality it's more than that because the Esso garage down the road is significantly cheaper for regular diesel anyway, not to mention the shop being significantly cheaper too, and the sandwiches much nicer, although the Shell staff are always very friendly compared to the Esso guys.

Sorry T, I once tried something completely different and got a different answer, so that's all wrong I'm afraid.

;)

With petrol, yes you do get a difference, but I with diesel, you don't get as much, if at  all any noticeable difference.  Defo not worth the price difference.

As with Mr T, my car has high miles, so that will make a difference.

For the price of this cleaner stuff, I'd rather use this than any V-power/ultimate stuff.

Also, TS, with the soot and stuff, it will always appear in the pipes as the oil breathers feed back into the intake and with diesels, the soot will just stick to it.

Did you say you sprayed this seafoam in to the intake? Any chance you can give me a link to the product?

I'm not aware of any product you can safely spray into the intake of a diesel engine, and I certainly wouldn't use carb cleaner, the combustion area on a diesel engine is very small, and introducing any liquid could result in catastophic engine failure.

Are you sure this stuff is designed for diesel engines?

I don't think it is actually intended for diesel engines as such, but nothing else gets rid of the oily lining and soot on the manifolds.    No one makes a product for that!

I didn't follow the instructions on the can to the letter, just spayed it intermittently as the engine was revved.  It pushes the revs up a bit, too much spray and the engine pinks a bit.

I have used car cleaner on all my previous diesels to clean the egr, but just could not get the stuff sprayed in properly as the engine was running.

Here's a link to the product - it is US based, so really just for petrol engines :uhoh:   but diesel engines are stronger.......

http://seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray/

Hope I haven't killed my engine! :rolleyes:

Have you read the warnings about using it on a diesel engine on that website?

It's pretty clear cut you shouldn't.

However, if it had done any damage, you'd know about it straight away, as you'd have hydro-locked the engine, so i'd say you got away with it, you're a braver man than I, I wouldn't have done it!