Hi guys,

This is my first post here and hope to be welcomed with open arms and all that jazz :)

Ill start off my saying I have an 2006 Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 DSG S-line which I have mapped both the gear box and ECU as well as DPF delete so its running great. Now, here's the problem, my drivers side caliper seized a few days ago so I got it replaced at my local garage. When going to pick up the car the mechanic told me I have totaly the wrong tyres on my 18" alloys. The tyres came with the car when I bought it a year ago were 225/50r18 and did notice that the tyres filled the arch much more than any other Audi sporting the same alloys but I didn't mind because the ride comfort was FAR better then any previous Audi A3 I had test driven with the correct 225/40r18 tyres. However the mechanic spotted something I didn't, the tyres have been rubbing the arch quite badly and on full lock you can't even get an piece of paper Inbetween the wheel and the arch its that bad!

Now, I need advice from you noligable people! Should i either A) go to the recommended 225/40r18 and probably have my fillings shaken out everytime I hit a pot hole or B) Try keep the same ride comfort and drop from 50 profile to 225/45r18 WHICH should hopefully eliminate the rubbing?

BUT problem 2 arises with price of the tyres! I want Vredestein Ultrac Vorti tyres (I believe they are the best for money) however going from 225/40r18 £85 a tyre to 225/45r18 £135 a tyre is a bloody big jump!! Should I bite the bullet and go for the 45's for more comfort or does the price not warrant it?

Thank you so much guys sorry for the lengthy post!

TheWay2go

Edited by theway2go

Well....225/45/18 is only about, what, a 3% increase on 225/40/18? Can't imagine it'd make much difference?

By comparison 225/50/18 is about...7% ish larger than 225/40? That's quite a significant jump.

I run 275/35/19s on mine over the 'proper' size of 265/35/19s, and that's about a 1% diameter difference.

So, yeah, boggle?

Personally, I'd wait for someone to come along who knows what they're talking about  :grin:

So do you think I should go with the 245's. By what you said I'm sure they will fit it will be around 0.80" smaller so should eliminate the rubbing just want more replies from people running this sort of tyre is there any advantages or difference from 225/40r18 to 225/45r18 the price diffence alone is around £60 or so at that price I could almost buy 2 40's! But I do nearly 60+ miles a day to work 7 days a week comfort is top priority a long with handling when I want to really chuck it round corners. Any other replies would really really help!

I run 275/35/19s on mine over the 'proper' size of 265/35/19s, and that's about a 1% diameter difference.

The thing is that's a tired & tested mod done many owners, I remember doing it on my e46 M3's. On the other hand not many owners actually increase the tyre sidewall depth even those with S-Line suspension :)

I really doubt insurance is going to care about a couple mm's let's get real. Anyways thinking to go with the 225/45r18s now despite the jump in price. Comfort is my main priority! The 45 profiles won't rub hopefully and will provide me with both the handling and comfort I need!

You're wrong on that front. If you have a claim and you've modified the car away from manu specs, and they find it, you could be in a world of hurt. 

...and even if your particular insurer doesn't care (mine didn't, but made a note of it) there's no harm in telling them anyway is there?

Edited by Mac
  • Like 1

Quite right too, better be safe than sorry, especially if you become involved in a large 3rd party claim which is covered by the ins. co. they then have the option of using their large legal department to chase you for recompense.

Apart from the above POSSIBLE insurance issue the overall height difference is only around 22mm on the tyre radius, do you really think that will have such a significant impact to comfort?

Personally I would either go to standard, or go down to 17" & up on the tyre profile to match the standard tyre size, which will probably end up with even cheaper tyres if cost is a significant issue.

Either of these will also end up with the speedo then being accurate again too as a bonus.

Seriously don't get this thread

a)

You are considering removing the wrong size tyres, only to replace them with a second set of wrong size tyres?

b)

If you want ride comfort, why on earth did you buy an S line version (10mm lower than a Sport and with an inch bigger wheels) of the 2.0 TDi DSG - the heaviest engine gearbox Audi fits in the A3 (doubt the 3.2 VR6 is heavier)

• Like 1

Some people prefer 'wrong' size tyres Ian. The 10mm front/rear oversize is highly recommended in the m3 world. It's arguably less wrong increasing width over tyre height, and also changing to a size that for a while shipped as stock in the us anyway.