Jim Clark Rally

Cuprabob

Motorsport is dangerous. It says so on the tickets, & everywhere. But the spectators at rallies scare the bejeezus out of me. I'd never consider that type of driving (although it does suit my style) purely because of the spectators.

• Like 1

I thought rallying had learned the lessons of the Group B days - they were insane. But it seems like some of the non-international events still have some of the old spectator issues.

However, it would be a real shame if this incident leads to a sanitising of all rallying events.

A similar incident happened at the Granite Rally in 2012 but thanfully no one was killed although a spectator was seriously injured.

I too hope there is not an over reaction as all the spectators know the risks, especially if you're standing on the outside of a corner or straight after an airborne section.

I must admit when I see some of the rallying I think in my head why are you standing there what happens 'if'.... but then hope that the if never happens. 

But as mentioned motorsport is dangerous and for those that want to watch it and many of us do I hope they don't bring in any silly rules.  :unsure:

I must admit when I see some of the rallying I think in my head why are you standing there what happens 'if'.... but then hope that the if never happens. 

But as mentioned motorsport is dangerous and for those that want to watch it and many of us do I hope they don't bring in any silly rules.  :unsure:

I know what you mean about silly rules, and I'm usually the last person to allow in the Nanny State and all it entails.  But I think about the care that I see being taken every time I go circuit racing, and the sight of rally spectators standing by the track, and I can't reconcile the two.  Motorsport involves getting half a tonne to a tonne of metal moving at silly speeds while only just under control.  With spectators potentially standing in the run-off... :unsure:

The real trouble with rallying is the logistics of controlling spectator access to stages 10, 20 or 30km long. Whole different ball game to a circuit with stands and fences.

I've spectated at many rallies, from club to WRC. If you follow a few basic common sense rules than you can minimise the risk, but the sheer number of spectators who just don't seem to appreciate that risk is seriously frightening.

I vividly remember my first RAC Rally. We were at Sweet Lamb and found ourselves breaking one of the common sense rules by being lower down the side of the valley than the track. At that point I had only briefly seen the top drivers at full chat in the flesh... so within a few seconds of Colin appearing over the brow of the valley every fibre of my being was convinced that he had to be completely out of control and I was about to die a bloody death at the hands of my hero. I legged it. He was, of course, in total control and went through the section we could see about 20 seconds quicker than anyone else. That day convinced me of two things - always follow the unwritten spectator rules, and the top WRC drivers have the biggest balls and greatest skill of any motorsport discipline with the possible (and timely) exception of IoM TT riders.

Edited by garcon magnifique

Motorsport is dangerous. It says so on the tickets, & everywhere. But the spectators at rallies scare the bejeezus out of me. I'd never consider that type of driving (although it does suit my style) purely because of the spectators.

I am sure those who have 'liked' this are in the same category as me, I do not like it, but I whole heartedly agree with your statement Mr P.

My thoughts are with ALL of those concerned, including the drivers, what must they be going through to have accidentally caused this.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about silly rules, and I'm usually the last person to allow in the Nanny State and all it entails.  But I think about the care that I see being taken every time I go circuit racing, and the sight of rally spectators standing by the track, and I can't reconcile the two.  Motorsport involves getting half a tonne to a tonne of metal moving at silly speeds while only just under control.  With spectators potentially standing in the run-off... :unsure:

Oh yeah I agree, and totally understand that I think the same but as we say it is dangerous and everyone including those that are watching should understand the risks I guess many don't. 

When you hear of people wanting to touch the car and losing a finger trapped in a spoiler in the process you have to think is this right but its been the same for years and yes sometimes things can and do go wrong. 

I'm sure they can come up with lots of things to reduce the risk, I just hope that for those that want to watch they are still able to albeit maybe they think twice about where they stand. +++

• Like 1

When you hear of people wanting to touch the car and losing a finger trapped in a spoiler in the process you have to think is this right but its been the same for years and yes sometimes things can and do go wrong.

:eek: :eek: WTF???

I just hope that for those that want to watch they are still able to albeit maybe they think twice about where they stand. +++

+++ Yes - that - in spades +++