BT internet. Any good?

Booster

I've had BT since moving into our current house a decade ago.

I had one problem which resulted in me shouting at tech. support... then we found out it was a knackered router, and nothing to do with the line.

Had Infinity since the exchange swapped and have been really happy with it.

I use MOC lots for work, so a decent high-speed connection is a must for me.

Seems good to me. Never really had a problem although just recently my VPN connection keeps going off. Have not got the super fast connection, 40mbps I think they claim, and rarely get significant buffering when watching Sky Go.

We've had Infinity for a week now, should have been two weeks but they just didn't bother to turn up to the first appointment which wasn't a good start.

We are supposed to have the full 75mb or whatever it is, and being close to the exchange and in a low volume area we nearly always get the maximum advertised speeds, but we only seem to be getting 35mb from Infinity, not sure why, it's even slower over a wireless connection, that seems to top out on most devices at around 20mb, which I'm assuming is the limit for non dual band wireless devices.

I was a bit skeptical about using BT at home after our experiences at the office, which are not good to say the least, and when they didn't bother to turn up I was all for doing a bit of swearing at them down the phone and telling them where to stick there YouView box and Infinity, but Mrs T talked me down in the end and she dealt with it.

We have Virgin Media 120mb.

On Saturday I was getting 97mb.

Last night - 48mb.

I've given in.  They've oversold the service into our area but the speed is still more than enough and I can't be doing with any more of their time wasting excuses.

Virgin are also very dear unless you take a bundle. Their standalone broadband is:

£21.50 per month for 3 months then £26.50 per month for the next 15 months.

BT:

£8 per month for 6 months then £16 per month for 12 months and they will give me a £100 Sainsbury's voucher, BT Sport on my Sky box and online and I can pay my phoneline and broadband costs up front and get 12 months for the price of 10.

No brainer!

And if you sign up via Topcashback, you get some money back, we've just ditched Sky and got everything through BT, phone, Infinity BB and TV, and I got £157 back from TCB which makes it stupidy cheap, and then there's that £100 Sainsbury voucher too, it might as well be free.

BT:

£8 per month for 6 months then £16 per month for 12 months and they will give me a £100 Sainsbury's voucher, BT Sport on my Sky box and online and I can pay my phoneline and broadband costs up front and get 12 months for the price of 10.

No brainer!

Don't forget the line rental for £15 per month too.

BT have confirmed that our location finally has Fibre connection (we only got water/gas and mains drainage last year....) and we are looking at the BT Infinity package, not really interested in any of the BT Sports or other additional channels.

We have FreeSat & Freeview, thats enough for our needs - we just want a reliable, fast connection.

Hopefully BT will provide it.

Certainly works out £££££'S cheaper than our current povider, idnet - which I must say is excellent but very expensive.

Fingers crossed.

Yeah I have to say, going from 18mb to fibre* has made virtually bugger all difference to anything.

Don't ever really download large files, everything just streams these days and they start playing just as instantly as they did before!

*we are supposed to be 75mb, but only seem to be getting 35.

When I signed up BT were showing 75 expected.  plus.net were reporting 35.  I was with plus.net so was happy to stay, but did not want to miss out on a big jump.  I phoned them and they said that the information they had I would only get 35.  Knowing that they are only reporting what BT's tools tell them.

It would seem that BT seem to want to publicise a currently unachievable rate.

• 1 month later...

Ok - so we now have BT Infinity and it works well with our ipads and Android devices, speed is 'much' better, reliability has increased tremendously.

The problem is with our existing laptops, one is about 6-7 years old and the other is 3-4 years old.

Both will not connect onto the BT Infinity Hub 5 router, a few Google enquires have returned a few vague problems that may exist with 'older technology'.

Can anyone help me out here on what I have to do to try and connect the two existing laptops to the new router.

BT talk about a dongle that I may have to purchase !

Rather not start shelling out for new laptops.

//beggingforhelp//.