Not so much spotted, but heard!

cruiser647

Was in Stamford yesterday, in an antique shop looking for some fire irons.  Got some, but as I was at the till with one of the pokers in my hand, I heard a Spitfire fly over. 

Chuffing low as it was very loud (was low cloud yesterday).

I wanted to run outside and have a look, but knowing my luck I would have stabbed someone with it as I ran.  Get arrested for maiming someone and trying to steal it! 

Talking of hearing things, I was sitting in the car earlier enjoying the sunshine, nodding off and having a quick half hour nap with the window down so a nice gentle breeze was wafting across me, when I hear a distant rumbling of a fruity exhaust.

I was half asleep so wasn't sure if I was dreaming or not, although I was conscious that I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or not if you see what I mean?

Anyway, the rumbling gets nearer and louder, sounded really, really nice, goes past and off down the road, didn't bother to open my eyes, just enjoyed the sound, 2 mins later it comes back and rumbles up next to me, and sits there, so I opened my eyes and the chap wanted directions to the place I was sitting almost outside.

I offered him my parking space as there wasn't really anywhere else to park and I didn't need to be there, I could snooze anywhere, so I moved forwards and just listened to him park it up, I tried to record the sound on my phone but it didn't pick anything up.

It was a brand new Bentley Conti GT, but most definitely wasn't on a standard exhaust, it had a proper deep rumble and was much louder than you'd expect, sounded absolutely amazing, it was his retirement present to himself apparently.

Edited by Tipex

We got married at the George. Lovely old hotel.

In my days in the press sector, our central payroll office was in Stamford...opposite the George.

I used to go there to maintain the systems in my early days and the Payroll Manager would take me for lunch at the George. 

As you say, it's a fabulous place.  When the summer comes and the flowers are in bloom outside it was a place I loved to go to.

It was a brand new Bentley Conti GT, but most definitely wasn't on a standard exhaust, it had a proper deep rumble and was much louder than you'd expect, sounded absolutely amazing, it was his retirement present to himself apparently.

Sounds like a new GT Speed.  They're much louder than the standard model and it is also quite common for them to be fitted with after market exhausts (at very high cost).

Not sure to be honest, it was gold, although I'm sure it's probably officially called Saharan racing sand or something!

It had a very V8 like rumble to it, most un-Bentley like and almost old school yank V8.

Edited by Tipex

Not sure to be honest, it was gold, although I'm sure it's probably officially called Saharan racing sand or something!

It had a very V8 like rumble to it, most un-Bentley like and almost old school yank V8.

They've stuck a new V8 in the GT  too.  So, a choice of 4.0 twin turbo V8 or 6.0 twin turbo W12!!!