It’s a total recall!

Andy_Bangle

Honda, Mazda and Nissan are recalling millions of their vehicles from all over the planet due to airbags that could possibly explode.

While no accidents have actually been reported as yet, the Takata Corp. airbags have warned that they very much could do at any moment.

Honda Motor Co. recalled 2.03 million vehicles for the airbag problem, including 1.02 million vehicles in North America and nearly 669,000 vehicles in Japan. That came on top of a million vehicles Honda recalled last year for similar Takata airbag palavers.

Nissan Motor Co. recalled 755,000 vehicles globally, while Mazda Motor Corp. recalled nearly 160,000 vehicles. Like Honda, both companies announced recalls last year, but in smaller numbers.

Toyota Motor Corp. announced an airbag recall earlier this month for 2.27 million vehicles. One fire was reported related to the defect, but no one was injured, Toyota said.

Meanwhile, in the MotorPunk airbag testing dept....

http://youtu.be/CTkRaOafWpA

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

WOW - just fecking wow ...  when you think it couldn't get any worse for Nissan they've announced a recall of another 1.6million Toyotas and Lexus's (near every Lexus made BTW) for a brake master cylinder fault.................. This is the 3rd or 4th worldwide recall of cars that Toyota / Lexus has made this year.

The Lexus recall is for "faulty fuel supply line pipes" according to the BBC news at 10am. So Toyotas have duff brake master cylinders and Lexus's might explode in front of you!  

The actual scary thing is that this is almost certainly not because Lexus and Toyota have more faults than other cars. It's because they're quality control standards are so much higher (and are progressively improved hence recall of older cars). Makes you wonder what other manufacturers are either missing or hiding.

• Like 1

I'd agree, its companies like Renault with the Clio that have bonnet catches that don't work after they are a few years old and still today say its not an issue. 

Fair play to Toyota and Lexus if they find an issue they sort it quickly and efficiently and I'd bet getting people back into the dealers showing the good service are more likely to buy again or even have a look at another deal when they pop in.  

Funny you should mention the Clio.

When I went to pick up my car earlier, my mechanic was stood scratching his head looking at a Clio with it's bonnet embedded in the windscreen and leading edge of the roof.

Unfortunately for him, it was a customers car and he was driving it when it happened, it's likely to be written off despite not actually being very old.

If anything, it makes me more likely to buy a Toyota or Lexus.

I can't see Ford, Renault, BMW etc ever issuing a world wide recall of every car for something that won't affect 99.9% of the cars, and is probably only a theoretical problem anyway.

Agree with your slightly warped logic. +++

• 7 months later...

Just another result of "Outsourcing" the manufacture of components

I think it is pretty much common knowledge as to where a lot of product manufacture has been relocated to or sub let in effect

In my own industry a lot of our suppliers closed down their Midlands manufacturing facilities and "Outsourced" supply to of all places, would you believe?

China

Result? QA & QC issues are abundant with the kit, so much so we do not use it anymore

Audi have a rather large recall too, at the moment they are only recalling vehicles in the US, but it'll surely have to end up being world wide, after all, the 2.0 Diesel that uses ridiculous amounts of oil isn't only available in America, it's everywhere else too.

I think they are on Watchdog next week.

Don't you mean the 2.0TFSI petrol that uses loads of oil? Mine uses a bit but due to my low mileage not a massive amount. I may have it checked etc just to help resale.

Oh and Audi won't do a "recall" for that.

By which I mean Audi won't call it a recall. Apparently they say recall's are only done for safety issues.

Edited by Scotty

People with complaints/issues are going to their dealers and they're doing consumption tests i.e. set a level of oil and then measure consumpption over 2000 miles (I think)

If people (such as me so far) don't go back then nothing will happen. A bit like the way VAG handled the coil pack issue. If losing a cylinder (imagine during an overtake) isn't a safety issue and hence due a recall then I can't see them doing it for excessive oil use. 

Having had quite a few 2.0 TFSI engines in various VAG variants,over the last few years I can only confirm no issues whatsoever with high oil consumption that includes cars with 80K on the clock as for our current S3 which we have had for 5 years come end of this year

Not sure if they do anything different with the performance variant of this engine that addresses the oil guzzling issues that appear to be out there?

• 8 months later...
And the recall goes on and on and on ....

This week the three largest German automakers said they will recall 2.5 million vehicles in the United States equipped with Takata Corp air bags:

VAG said it would recall 850,000 vehicles (170,000 Audi).

BMW said it would recall 840,000 vehicles. 

Daimler AG said it would recall 840,000 vehicles.

Some 24 million U.S. vehicles involving about 28 million Takata air bag inflators have been recalled.

1 million UK vehicles have recalled so far.