Tour de France

M8CKN

Didn't seem much of the coverage today unfortunately but the first couple of days looked spectacular it was very very well supported indeed, if it was half as good today I look forward to it returning to the UK in the near future. 

Proud. +++

• 3 years later...

An old thread brought to the front.

It was reported that they had configured this year's TDF to try and prevent another Froome victory, however they obviously failed as Froome won his 4th TDF, 3rd in a row.

He seemed to do it with some ease and never even won a stage, climb or time trial. 

It was an intriguing race (if you're into road cycling). I'm sure it was closer than Sky and Froome would have liked, but he seemed to be in control throughout, barring one day in the Pyrenees when he blew up but somehow finished only 6 seconds down. Not sure if the loss of Geraint Thomas so early had an impact - the rest of the team did brilliantly without him. A bit gutted for Landa missing out on a podium by less than a second - he'll soon have his chance as a GC rider with another team I think (and so the Sky conveyor belt goes on - he'll be replaced by another talented rider).

Everything seemed to play into Froome's hands, even Saturday's time trial. If the organisers really wanted to give the rest a chance they probably should have made that TT longer and flatter. The climb made it perfect for Froome.

As ever in sport, when one team dominates they are accused by those who don't support them of making it boring. I say bollocks to that. You can't blame the French for wanting a French TdF winner, but they're going to have to do it the hard way. Warren Barguil has every chance - very impressive winner of the polkadot jersey this time.

Edited by garcon magnifique
  • Like 2

It was a good year wasn't it. I do wonder though why Sky are allowed to get away with bossing the stages like they do. They just sit on the front dictating it all. Why don't the other teams get in on that act? They are all well funded. 

Not that I'm complaining, Froome took (almost) everything and was a legend. Gutted for Cav and Porte. Both horrific crashes during which I thought they were both goners. Sickening to watch. 

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

It was a good year wasn't it. I do wonder though why Sky are allowed to get away with bossing the stages like they do. They just sit on the front dictating it all. Why don't the other teams get in on that act? They are all well funded. 

Not that I'm complaining, Froome took (almost) everything and was a legend. Gutted for Cav and Porte. Both horrific crashes during which I thought they were both goners. Sickening to watch. 

There are fantastic riders in all teams but sky the depth of talent in the sky team is just mind blowing. Sharing the duties out will blow away the peloton if they required and they get away with doing enough for victory. The added bonus is none of the team are seeking individual acclaim as in the sprinters jersey or king of the mountains. The sole purpose of the team is to protect Froome and get him where he should be in as good as condition as possible. Landa was easily good enough for second this year but took fourth as a result of being the ultimate teammate. 

I feel a bit sorry for Froome. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves but being raised in Kenya and living in Monaco doesn't exactly ingrain you in the nations psyche. 

1 hour ago, billy2shots said:

I feel a bit sorry for Froome. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves but being raised in Kenya and living in Monaco doesn't exactly ingrain you in the nations psyche. 

I've never been a great patriot when it comes to sport. I support who I like, often against the Brits.

The whole thing with Froome and other British (or not) sports stars seems incredibly subjective. 'Psyche' describes it well, to the fans they either 'feel' British or they don't. The fact Froome, born to British parents, is objectively more British than Mo Farrah or Johanna Konta becomes irrelevant. It's fantastic that Farrah and Konta get the support they do, by the way. Maybe it's just that British fans support who they like and are good at coming up with excuses ("He's Kenyan") not to support people they don't like ("he's boring, got no personality, it's all drugs innit").

Yup, I can't disagree with any of that.

However, I don't think Froome helps himself.

Living in Monaco is an issue that a good few might see as a reason but I think it is more than that.  I don't even think the Kenyan born element of his background has much to do with it.  I just don't think he endears himself to people.  Plus, I am convinced he suffers from the fact that a personality like Wiggins won it before him.  Had Froome been the first Brit to do it, I think it may have been a very different story.